Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-07 21:09:33

Danielsan

with what did you replace the xfce4-notes-plugin?

Hi guys,

I am using Debian testing and xfce4-notes-plugin, precisely one of my favorite, has been removed because depends on libunique which has some flaws and it is also unmaintained...

I need a replacement, I was thinking at gnote but maybe there are others applications that fit better XFCE4, what do you suggest?

Thanks,

Danielsan

Debian ~ Devuan & FreeBSD + XFCE = <3

#2 2020-12-07 22:35:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: with what did you replace the xfce4-notes-plugin?

I tried indicator-stickynotes at one time and it worked okay.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-12-08 17:17:08

mint4all

Greetings!

After "converting" to linux some 7-8 years ago, I've looked at the notes plugin, gnotes, tomboy notes, sticky notes, and a variety of other similar apps, but found out that my note-taking reqs were beyong those apps' scope: saving, restoring, organizing, indexing, categorizing, tables, rich text, code boxes, web links, local doc links ...

Back then, on the windoz side, i had gotten used to "AllMyNotes". The closest I could find after looking for a few years was "CherryTree", @ https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/ ... It is quite useful for organizing the "stuff" one accumulates on one's disks over time & numerous projects. It is a heavy weight (in terms of capabilities), but fits neatly into xfce's ecosystem: panels, window manager, systray etc. Btw: its github release v99.24 at present is my preferred version.

Can be made sticky, of course, but doesn't mess with the system ime.

If you're looking for a handwriting app to take notes via tablet/stylus, perhaps you may want to look into xournal++ @ https://github.com/xournalpp/xournalpp/releases ... Excellent for annotating other docs especially .pdf's. Hope this helps.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2020-12-08 18:22:38

File Manager

I use Xpad for quick notes (beware of buggy versions in Debian). For more serious note taking I use Simplenote which offers cloud sync if you like that sort of thing.

#5 2020-12-10 04:49:23

Danielsan

Thanks to all, I really liked the way of XFCE4 notes... Anyway I am going to try Xpad and Rhinote, especially the latter requires fewer dependencies (in Debian)...

#6 2020-12-11 01:09:25

CwF

I'll second the cherrytree vote. It is on the heavier side, but has become the favorite. It thoroughly documents my OS's, and life! Also, Xournal is a nice freehand tool.

#7 2020-12-11 14:20:34

Danielsan

I'll try it, so far I just tried Rhinote which is pretty straightforward you open a note but then you have to save it as txt or its format and there is no way to open all your notes by default without creating a simple own script, and the notes aren't group together, but it does its basic dirty work...

#8 2020-12-18 10:02:59

iainrs

I too will be sorry to lose xfce4-notes. I downloaded  Rhinote and have modified it to provide
- popup of 'notes' files (including xfce notes)
- right-click menu for mouse use
- check for unsaved files (change of size!)
- Font, windowsize, position etc

The changes are just for Mint-20-xfce on my system and have not been thoroughly checked but seems to work.

Board footer