Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-17 09:11:02

andylatham82

SDL games (like Crispy Doom) won't start up in full screen

Hi,

I have had Crispy Doom (which uses SDL) working fine with XFCE for a while now, but all of a sudden it doesn't want to work properly if set to start up in full screen mode. I can load it in windows mode and then alt-enter to go to full screen, it just won't start up in that mode. Running the game causes the desktop to flicker, with the panel disappearing and then reappearing. A task for the game is started, but I have to manually kill it. Occasionally the whole desktop crashes and I have to reboot. The same thing happens whether using full-screen window or dedicated full screen. I have tried different resolutions as well as setting the game to have pixel-perfect scaling but nothing seems to make a difference.

I had pretty much the same problem using Pico-8, a piece of software that also uses SDL. The solution to that problem was to ensure that Pico-8 was set to run as a full screen window rather than dedicated mode.

The computer is a DELL laptop with an NVIDIA graphics chip. I'm on Ubuntu 20.10 with XFCE 4.14. I've tried reinstalling Crispy Doom, but that doesn't help.

Does anyone know what I could try to fix the problem?

Board footer