Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-03 16:14:15

Mikrotherion

Linked files/ folders not treated in the right context

Hello,

after a long time using MATE, I came back to XFCE when I had to reinstall my system, because I quite liked it and with 4.16 just out I thought it was a good idea to go back to it.
I still like it, but there is one thing I think I remember not working correctly (or how I would imagine it should) back when I last used XFCE and the problem is still there.

I have a symlink to a folder on my desktop that contains an .exe, which IS opened with wine when I double click it. However, the program won't run because it seems to be unable to find the other files in the folder.
When I don't use the symlink to open the folder, but go all the way by clicking through Games/path-of-exile/drive_c/... and then double click the .exe, the game opens no trouble.

Similar, but worse, when I make a link to the .exe on my desktop. It then runs the program, which does not find the files it needs and thus starts downloading them to the desktop.

I mean, I could create a launcher if this is for some reason intended behaviour, but for me it is not intuitive.
So, is there something wrong on my end or on XFCE's, or does it work like it should.

Thanks.

#2 2021-03-04 02:19:07

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Linked files/ folders not treated in the right context

Hello and welcome.

I didn't think that wine apps worked with symlinks because of the missing "path to working directory" value that doesn't exist. Does it work properly in Mate?

As opposed to symlinking the folder, why not just copy the .desktop file from ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/.... to the desktop?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-03-04 06:14:10

Mikrotherion

Re: Linked files/ folders not treated in the right context

Hello!

Yes, it worked in MATE - moreover, I'm fairly sure that it also worked on my freshly installed XFCE.
But from what you are saying I gather that it is actually expected that it does not. That's OK, then.

Board footer