Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-27 19:41:53

Sadfa

Panel Preferences > Items list has wrong ERRATIC text labels

I love Manjaro XFCE but this problem is annoying.

In the Panel Preferences > Items tab there is a list of items in the panel. The problem is the names of the different elements, eg. 'Workplace Switcher', 'Seperator', 'Window buttons', 'Clock', 'Show Desktop', constantly change text and mislabel themselves at random as a person moves the mouse over them and they are repainted. They don't even start out with the correct labels.

I can't be the only person experiencing this, right?

It just makes the experience feel buggy and unstable. And we like Manjaro and don't want people getting the wrong impression from the start when they are trying to set things up how they like.

"But it says Workplace Switcher?"
"Well it does but it's actually the system tray. Look" Hovers mouse over the item so the tooltip shows up with 'systray-6'.

#2 2021-03-27 20:07:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel Preferences > Items list has wrong ERRATIC text labels

Hello and welcome.

I haven't personally witnessed this bug, but others have. Here is the bug report. It hasn't been determined what is causing this or can it be replicated on demand to be able to identify the cause.

Edit: Are you using gtk3-nocsd or libxfce4ui-nocsd?

Last edited by ToZ (2021-03-27 20:09:12)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-03-27 21:39:59

Sadfa

Not sure, how might one check.

(Speaking of CSD, I do see that the Panel Preferences dialog is CSD, with many others, ie. It lacks the nice dark border around the edge of it. Is there a way to force it to do the defined edge? As another aside the "Help" and "Close" buttons at the bottom of the pane are too close to the edges and likewise this problem seems repeated across many dialogs.)

#4 2021-03-27 22:03:31

ToZ
Administrator

Sadfa wrote:

Not sure, how might one check.

Did you install, or is gtk3-nocsd or libxfce4ui-nocsd installed? I'm guessing no from the next comment.

(Speaking of CSD, I do see that the Panel Preferences dialog is CSD, with many others, ie. It lacks the nice dark border around the edge of it. Is there a way to force it to do the defined edge?

Sounds like you might want to give one those nocsd packages a try. They will get rid of the CSD titlebars.

As another aside the "Help" and "Close" buttons at the bottom of the pane are too close to the edges and likewise this problem seems repeated across many dialogs.)

If you are going to stay with CSD, then you can adjust that gapping by adding the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (create the file if it doesn't exist):

.dialog-action-area { padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px}

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2021-03-28 01:52:19

Sadfa

Going in reverse...

Great stuff! In my case an extra pixel did the trick. Ie.

.dialog-action-area { padding-bottom: 6px; padding-left: 6px; padding-right: 6px}

Thanks too for your suggestion re gtk3-nocsd or libxfce4ui-nocsd! The css you gave above still works too.

#6 2021-03-31 02:42:43

Sadfa

Great progress on this, a day after I report an issue in the ~/.xsessions-errors file here, we can congratulate Steven Xu for successfully cracking the code.

As stated:

Sadfa wrote:

Congrats to all involved! It's unusual that it rears it's head for a subset of locales. Even if it is an issue with how Transifex handles translation amid code I'm not so certain that it is a issue with Transifex, per se, because it doesn't happen with other similar dialog boxes with the same content and style. Maybe it is, though. Congrats all.

While I am here, if I may report some other issues that I've seen in ~/xsession-errors (this is not a complete list btw there could be more) ...

1a) 'Mouse and Touchpad' settings threw the following:

(xfwm4:XXXX): xfwm4-WARNING **: XX:XX:XX.XXX: XSync timeout for client "Mouse and Touchpad" (0xXXXXXXX)

(As an aside the Mouse and Touchpad settings dialog is too small. The last tab is unusable without expanding the window. Can we consider a minimum width of 410px?

2) Menu Editor (or MenuLibre) settings dialog produces:

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-WARNING **: XX:XX:56.206: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuButton

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-WARNING **: XX:XX:56.331: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuButton

Then the following repeats while a person moves their mouse of the dialog:

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-CRITICAL **: XX:XX:02.671: _gtk_css_image_get_surface: assertion 'surface_width > 0' failed

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-CRITICAL **: XX:XX:02.672: _gtk_css_image_get_concrete_size: assertion 'default_width > 0' failed

#7 2021-03-31 04:58:02

ToZ
Administrator

Sadfa wrote:

While I am here, if I may report some other issues that I've seen in ~/xsession-errors (this is not a complete list btw there could be more) ...

1a) 'Mouse and Touchpad' settings threw the following:

(xfwm4:XXXX): xfwm4-WARNING **: XX:XX:XX.XXX: XSync timeout for client "Mouse and Touchpad" (0xXXXXXXX)

What kind of mouse? PS/2, bluetooth, built-in touchpad?

(As an aside the Mouse and Touchpad settings dialog is too small. The last tab is unusable without expanding the window. Can we consider a minimum width of 410px?

File a bug report here.

2) Menu Editor (or MenuLibre) settings dialog produces:

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-WARNING **: XX:XX:56.206: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuButton

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-WARNING **: XX:XX:56.331: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuButton

Then the following repeats while a person moves their mouse of the dialog:

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-CRITICAL **: XX:XX:02.671: _gtk_css_image_get_surface: assertion 'surface_width > 0' failed

(menulibre:XXXXX): Gtk-CRITICAL **: XX:XX:02.672: _gtk_css_image_get_concrete_size: assertion 'default_width > 0' failed

Menulibre is not an official part of Xfce. It's code and bugs are tracked through launchpad. You can file a bug report there.

#8 2021-04-02 04:32:35

Sadfa

ToZ wrote:

File a bug report here.

It may take some time before I'm settled to do that but I'll try to at some point.

ToZ wrote:

It's code and bugs are tracked through launchpad. You can file a bug report there.

Same as above.

ToZ wrote:

What kind of mouse? PS/2, bluetooth, built-in touchpad?

PS/2 smile

Board footer