Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-03 16:31:22

Mellowbob

Copy notification to clipboard

I'm running XFCE4 4.14, clipman panel plugin and xfce4-notifyd.

I could like to somehow copy the contents of a notification to my clipboard. I can't mouse-highlight it and retyping the content gets very old very fast smile

Well, I did find one option ... but retyping is probably faster smile Open xfce4-notifyd-config, click log, send the contents to an external app (little button on the bottom left) and then search for the content (different order, of course). Gotta be a way to just copy the highlighted notification to the clipboard???

#2 2021-04-03 21:17:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Copy notification to clipboard

If its just the last notification, you can get the body of the notification with:

cat ~/.cache/xfce4/notifyd/log | tail -8 | grep ^body | awk -F'=' '{print $2}' | xclip -i

...requires "xclip". It will place it in your clipboard buffer so you can paste it somewhere. You can bind it to a keyboard shortcut to make it quick to get.

Or, you can quickly open the log in a zenity text-info window (that lets you copy) via:

zenity --text-info < ~/.cache/xfce4/notifyd/log

...requires "zenity". You can also bind this to a shortcut key to have it pop up quicker that then going manually through the options to get to it.

Otherwise, you'll need to create an enhancement request.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-03 22:34:36

Mellowbob

Re: Copy notification to clipboard

Thanks for that. Even easier, for me, is:

[03:32 PM ~] bob$ less < ~/.cache/xfce4/notifyd/log

or even:

[03:32 PM ~] bob$ cat < ~/.cache/xfce4/notifyd/log

Both from a terminal or course. I'm going to write a little one liner and stick it in my bashrc.

Board footer