Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-07 08:14:22

moose

XFCE 4.16 gnome-keyring ssh-agent autostart

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and to XFCE, but not to UNIX/Linux in general. During the last 3 decades I used and tested several desktops for Linux. Currently I'm using Cinnamon on Debian 10 Buster.

But, I read a lot about the new XFCE 4.16 and want to give it a try on Debian 11 Bullseye (currently named 'testing').

Well, most things I've already configured for my personal needs and taste, but there is one thing I didn't get up and runng so far. During the last days I read a couple of websites with tipps and tricks to get it running but it didn't work as expected so far.

So whats the problem?

Well, when I use Cinnamon oder Gnome, gnome-keyring starts and is unlocked automatically when a user logs in to the desktop. grnome-keyring comes with its own implementation of ssh-agent which is started by gnome-keyring after a user logs it to desktop. The user's private key which is encrypted by a passphrase (also stored in grnome-keyring) will be unlocked automatically and will be kept im memory (ssh-agent). This can easily be tested by typing 'ssh-add -l' oder 'ssh-add -L'. So after logging into to Cinnanon or Gnome desktop I can easily start my ssh-session without typing my private keys passphrase everytime because its kept in memory (ssh-agent).

What I want to get is the same behaviour when I use XFCE, but I didn't get it working so far.

Any help, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Greetinx

moose

#2 2021-05-07 19:27:45

moose

Re: XFCE 4.16 gnome-keyring ssh-agent autostart

After further searching through many other documents, I finally found the solution here

To use GNOME Keyring, simply tick the checkbox Launch GNOME services on startup in the Advanced tab of Session and Startup in Xfce's settings. This will also disable gpg-agent and ssh-agent.

and here

In case you want to use gnome-keyring enable the Launch GNOME services on startup in the Advanced tab of the settings dialog. If you do this xfce4-session will not attempt to start the gpg- or ssh-agent.

Because I asked for your assistence in this forum I'd like to share the solution here. Thanks for reading and trying to help me!

Greetinx

moose

#3 2021-05-07 22:36:23

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE 4.16 gnome-keyring ssh-agent autostart

Thank you for posting back the solution. Much appreciated.
And welcome to the forums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer