Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-16 17:52:37

desipher

Missing themes for some icons. Anyway to manually alter them?

Image for reference. As you can see; panel, workspace, display, session startup, etc aren't using the icon pack's theme. 

Some of the icons aren't using my candy-icon theme pack.

I have just two questions from you wonderful lads.

• Is it possible for me to set them manually somehow?

• If not, why are they not loading? Is the issue with the icon pack or xfce?

I have already done the update cache thing.
I am using xfce 4.12 on debian 10 (buster) and the icon pack is stored in the

/usr/share/icons/

if that matters.

#2 2021-05-16 21:52:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Missing themes for some icons. Anyway to manually alter them?

desipher wrote:

Is the issue with the icon pack or xfce?

The icon theme doesn't include those icons. It looks like you can make requests here.

Is it possible for me to set them manually somehow?

All you really need to do is to link the name of the icon that is being looked for to one that already exists. For example, the "Window Manager" applet is looking for a "xfwm4" icon file. Since it can't find one in your current theme, it goes up the hierarchy chain and eventually settles on the default icon shipped with the product. If you want to use, for example, "apps/scalable/preferences-system-windows-move.svg as this icon, simply:

ln -s preferences-system-windows-move.svg xfwm4.xvg

...while in that directory (will require root privileges). You will also need to rebuild the icon cache again.

Rinse and repeat for every missing icon. The icon names an be found in the corresponding .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-05-17 07:42:02

desipher

ToZ wrote:
desipher wrote:

Is the issue with the icon pack or xfce?

The icon theme doesn't include those icons. It looks like you can make requests here.

Is it possible for me to set them manually somehow?

All you really need to do is to link the name of the icon that is being looked for to one that already exists. For example, the "Window Manager" applet is looking for a "xfwm4" icon file. Since it can't find one in your current theme, it goes up the hierarchy chain and eventually settles on the default icon shipped with the product. If you want to use, for example, "apps/scalable/preferences-system-windows-move.svg as this icon, simply:

...while in that directory (will require root privileges). You will also need to rebuild the icon cache again.

Rinse and repeat for every missing icon. The icon names an be found in the corresponding .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.

I open a terminal in the following diretory /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/apps/scalable/

And I enter the following command -

and then I update the app cache with this -

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/

But nothing happens. I even restarted my quantum computer.

So I tried it with another app. I went to the /usr/share/applications/xfce-display-settings.desktop and open its properties after right-clicking it. I selected the xfce4-display part from the xfce4-display-settings Here's an image for clarification and after that I used the following command to create a simlink after opening the terminal in the /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/preferences/scalable/disper.svg directory.

ln -s disper.svg xfce-display 

Then I updated the icon cache and also restarted my supercomputer. But that did not change the icon for the display.

How did you know that Window Manager required xfwm4? The name was Window Manager and the command was xfwm4-settings So do I just pick whatever is before the word settings?

#4 2021-05-17 11:41:22

ToZ
Administrator

You need to get the name of the icon that the module is looking for. I didn't have an older version of Xfce available to check, but I've just installed debian stable into a VM to have a look. The icon names have changed in Xfce version 4.16.

According to your image, you need the following icons (keep in mind that the candy icon theme is an svg icon theme - meaning all of the icons need to be in svg format and have the svg extension in the name) So for example, to replace the Panel icon:

cat /usr/share/applications/panel-preferences.desktop | grep Icon

...returns:

Icon=xfce4-panel

So lets assume that you want to use Candy Icon's preferences/scalable/preferences-system-windows.svg icon instead...

sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/preferences/scalable/preferences-system-windows.svg /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/apps/scalable/xfce4-panel.svg

...then rebuild the cache:

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/candy-icons

Rinse and repeat for every icon you want to change.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2021-05-17 11:48:44

ToZ
Administrator

To change the Window Manager icon:

$ cat xfce-wm-settings.desktop | grep Icon
Icon=xfwm4
sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/apps/scalable/preferences-system-windows-move.svg /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/apps/scalable/xfwm4.svg

#6 2021-05-18 04:11:38

desipher

ToZ wrote:

To change the Window Manager icon:

$ cat xfce-wm-settings.desktop | grep Icon
Icon=xfwm4
sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/apps/scalable/preferences-system-windows-move.svg /usr/share/icons/candy-icons/apps/scalable/xfwm4.svg

Thanks again man. You really help out a lot of people are and you seem to know so much. Are you a dev? 
I crated all the necessary symlinks and requested the missing once from the dev on git.

while creating the symbolic links I notices that the ls command showed a list of application with .desktop extension but the thunar file explorer didn't had any of those. How come they are only visible via cli? I am asking cause I couldn't find some apps in the folder or cli like plank's clipman plugin

Last edited by desipher (2021-05-18 10:52:46)

#7 2021-05-18 12:00:12

ToZ
Administrator

desipher wrote:

Thanks again man. You really help out a lot of people are and you seem to know so much. Are you a dev?

I am the current maintainer of the xfce4-genmon-plugin and I contribute code via patches if I can. I've been using Xfce for a really long time and have gotten to know its inner workings over that time.

I crated all the necessary symlinks and requested the missing once from the dev on git.

Nice. You should also be aware that for 4.16, Xfce changed all of their icon names. One of the developers posted a python script that helps to automatically map existing icons to the new names.

while creating the symbolic links I notices that the ls command showed a list of application with .desktop extension but the thunar file explorer didn't had any of those.

Do you mean there was no /usr/share/applications/thunar.desktop file? Is Thunar installed?

How come they are only visible via cli?

You can also view them using your file manager, but I think they show up as shortcuts in that folder (thunar has recently changed this). You can right-click and select an Edit option or Open in a [text editor] to view the contents.

I am asking cause I couldn't find some apps in the folder or cli like plank's clipman plugin

Plank uses a different method for those icons. For clippy, it uses an "edit-cut.svg" icon. Link another one to it and will change (after re-starting plank).

#8 2021-05-18 16:47:22

desipher

while creating the symbolic links I notices that the ls command showed a list of application with .desktop extension but the thunar file explorer didn't had any of those.

Do you mean there was no /usr/share/applications/thunar.desktop file? Is Thunar installed?

How come they are only visible via cli?

You can also view them using your file manager, but I think they show up as shortcuts in that folder (thunar has recently changed this). You can right-click and select an Edit option or Open in a [text editor] to view the contents.

Yes I have thunar installed. What I meant was, This is what thunar shows and this is what cli shows So I was just wondering what was up. But like you mentioned maybe it's because they changed something in thurnar. I haven't tried it with any other file manager.

I am asking cause I couldn't find some apps in the folder or cli like plank's clipman plugin

Plank uses a different method for those icons. For clippy, it uses an "edit-cut.svg" icon. Link another one to it and will change (after re-starting plank).

Alright got it. I'll try it out.

#9 2021-05-18 17:18:30

ToZ
Administrator

desipher wrote:

Yes I have thunar installed. What I meant was, This is what thunar shows and this is what cli shows So I was just wondering what was up. But like you mentioned maybe it's because they changed something in thurnar. I haven't tried it with any other file manager..

Yes, thunar used to do that. It showed them as shortcuts not the actual files. This was recently changed and thunar will now display exactly like you see on the cli.

Board footer