Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-24 15:23:58

pbft

Desktop shows files from ~/ (instead of ~/Documents/Desktop)

I'm running xfce4 on Mint Tara. My /home directory is mounted via NFS. I had Linux hard crash (GUI unresposive, ctl-alt F2 would not bring up a virtual terminal).

After the crash, the system rebooted into emergency mode, and from there rebooted into proper XFCE login. My desktop has the proper icons for home, filesystem, and removable devices. Everything works as it should.

However, my desktop has icons for every file in my home directory instead of icons for the ~/Documents/Desktop directory.

If I choose 'none' for desktop icons, they all disappear, but I don't seem to have an option to select the correct directory for my custom desktop icons.

Where is this directory specified for user icons on the desktop? I don't see anything obvious in ~/.config/xfce4

Thanks for any help.

#2 2021-06-24 16:29:22

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Desktop shows files from ~/ (instead of ~/Documents/Desktop)

Hello and welcome.

This is part of the xdg-user-dirs spec. The configuration is stored in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. You can manually change that file and "pkill xfdesktop" to get it to re-read the file. XDG_DESKTOP_DIR should be set to "$HOME/Desktop". While there, check that the other directories make sense as well.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-06-24 17:24:05

pbft

Re: Desktop shows files from ~/ (instead of ~/Documents/Desktop)

Perfect! Problem solved.

Thanks. I had about driven myself crazy trying to figure out where that was specified.

Board footer