Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-23 22:00:18

agashamu

settings manager [SOLVED]

Hi Xfce Forum!
I've changed some icons in my system, (it's easy in whisker menu), but now I have some missing icons in Settings Manager. Edited both /usr/ and .local .desktop files, the line:icon to the full path to the new icons which I put into my icon theme folder. Well, Settings Manager does not show them. Anybody knows what else I should do?
Thank you very much!

Last edited by agashamu (2022-05-03 19:29:54)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#2 2021-07-24 01:21:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: settings manager [SOLVED]

Hello and welcome.

You don't mention which version of Xfce you are using, but I can replicate the same on 4.16. Basically, as you've noted, you can use the Whisker menu to change the icon of one of the Settings apps. This will create a copy of that desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications with the new icon name.

If you select an icon using "Image Files" (not an icon from the current icon them), the new .desktop file will contain the full path to the selected icon.

Both Whiskermenu and the applications menu process new icon properly. The Settings Manager does not.

I believe you have a found a bug. You should file a bug report here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-07-24 02:48:00

agashamu

Thank you ToZ for your reply! Using Linux Lite 5.4, version 4.14 Mint Xfce version 4.14, just upgraded to Mint 20.2 version 4.16.
You are absolutely right! (well, no surprise, you know more about Xfce then it's own developers...I have saved many of your replies and instructions from back in 2015 and they still work perfectly today.)
Anyway, yes I selected my new icons from "image files" mostly .png files, they all show nicely in Whisker and /usr/share/aplications/.
Path to icons were created automatically in .local .desktop files. I did edit /usr/share/applications/ .desktop files after I scaled the icons properly and converted them into .svg and placed them in /usr/share/icons/shadow-7.1, hoping that it will do the trick and show up in Settings Manager. No, they didn't.
I will file a bug report asap.
Thanks again for responding!

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#4 2022-05-03 19:38:03

agashamu

Hi ToZ, I just tried the new Linux Lite 6.0 RC1 release with Xfce 4.16, Settings Manager works perfect now! I guess they fixed it. Xfce is getting better and better...

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

Board footer