Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-21 01:35:22

Dini

Custom .desktop file not being used by Thunar?

Hi folks,

Okay so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior but I produced a custom '.desktop' file and placed it in ~/.local/share/applications/ . As expected, it work (is used) when launching the application from the Whisker menu, but not when launching a file associated to that '.desktop' file from Thunar, despite the fact that Default Applications is saying to use that exact '.desktop' file.

When it gets superseded is it not also being superseded by Thunar? When I change the '.desktop' file in /usr/share/applications/ only then does my script work.

I'm curious. What to do?

As an aside (I've not been able to update for a while and don't even know if this is an Xfce app because) the Default Application app closes abruptly when a user clicks the Help button.

#2 2021-08-21 16:15:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Custom .desktop file not being used by Thunar?

Maybe a bug report against thunar is the best way forward.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-08-21 20:25:43

Skaperen

what does "a file associated to that '.desktop' file" mean?  what kind of association are you referring to?

#4 2021-08-21 23:51:52

Dini

Hi to you both!

Skaperen wrote:

what does "a file associated to that '.desktop' file" mean?  what kind of association are you referring to?

Just the standard mimetype stuff that was default.

ToZ wrote:

Maybe a bug report against thunar is the best way forward.

Believe so, thanks, and so now look what I've gone and done, lol (https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/-/issues/640). I'm going to assume that something changed recently or I'm just doing something wrong because it seems a rudimentary thing that someone might what to add an option when loading a program etc etc.

Love you folks and I'll keep these forums updated with results. No probs.
D

#5 2021-08-24 02:32:10

Dini

Sorry people, my mild noobiness is showing.

There was a problem with my 'Exec=' command that I produced and thusly it seems the '.desktop' file gently failed and the system fell back to using the usr/share/ (ie. global version) of the '.desktop' file.

Ended up being an easy fix. In my case I accidentally chose (') single quotes instead of (") double quotes. Of course if someone tries to report a similar issue in they'll see this hopefully it'll spare everyone's time. There are many ways a command can fail, tho.

Have a good week, all.

Last edited by Dini (2021-08-24 02:32:37)

Board footer