Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-02 13:05:51

oui

xfce4-appfinder

3 problems:

1. some entries are for me NOT welcome, for ex. Rxvt Color Unicode Terminal. It is to be find under "Accessoires"  but I only will use Terminal Xfce and this is to find unter Système. How to make Rxvt hidden for xfce4-Appfinder?

2, and, parallel how to makes that Terminal Xfce appears also in the group "Accessoires"?

3. how to add apps needing a terminal to start and where can I find the groups alt. enter the group in, hum, in what? a file like "pipapo.desktop", or other registration?

(I did install the package "menu" so I can use a Debian menu for the CLI part, but I assume that the xfce4 appfinder does not collaborate with the Debian menu)

#2 2021-09-02 23:01:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce4-appfinder

oui wrote:

1. some entries are for me NOT welcome, for ex. Rxvt Color Unicode Terminal. It is to be find under "Accessoires"  but I only will use Terminal Xfce and this is to find unter Système. How to make Rxvt hidden for xfce4-Appfinder?

appfinder will display all valid desktop files (similar to the menu apps). To prevent one from being displayed, you need to add "NoDisplay=true" to the .desktop file. Menu editors can do this, but to do it manually:

• copy the relevant .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications (create the directory if it doesn't exist).

• edit the .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications and append "NoDisplay=true" to the end of the file

...and the entry will disappear from the menu and not be processed by appfinder.

2, and, parallel how to makes that Terminal Xfce appears also in the group "Accessoires"?

Similar to the process above, copy /usr/share/applications/xfce4-terminal.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications, edit that file, and change the "Categories=" line by appending ";Utility" to the line. This will have it also display in the Accessories submenu.

3. how to add apps needing a terminal to start and where can I find the groups alt. enter the group in, hum, in what? a file like "pipapo.desktop", or other registration?

(I did install the package "menu" so I can use a Debian menu for the CLI part, but I assume that the xfce4 appfinder does not collaborate with the Debian menu)

I'm guessing that you want to add a console app to the menu. To do so, create a custom .desktop file and set the "Exec=" line to something like:

xfce4-terminal -x EXECUTABLE

...where EXECUTABLE is the name of the program to run.

The Arch wiki entry on .desktop files is a good resource if you are interested in getting some more information about the desktop entry specification.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer