Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-28 23:08:51

Tio

Where are the config for different wallpapers on different workspaces?

I am trying to figure where are the settings stored that tells the desktop to add a particular wallpaper to a particular workspace. I thought they are stored in .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce4-desktop.xml since I see some lines there about that, but if I change this file and add different background images for different workspaces, nothing will change.

Any help? Thanks!

#2 2021-09-28 23:14:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Where are the config for different wallpapers on different workspaces?

Use xfconf to make changes on the fly. Assuming a current version of Xfce, something like:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /backdrop/screen0/monitoreDP-1/workspace0/last-image -s /path/to/wallpaper

...note that the "monitor" value may be different for your system and that "workspace0" will change depending on the workspace number (starting from 0).

To see what your actual xfconf path will be, run:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -mv

...and manually change the wallpaper - it will display the path.

Edit: if you want to directly manipulate the xml file, you need to do so when your are not logged in to Xfce and the xfconf process is not running.

Last edited by ToZ (2021-09-28 23:16:54)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-09-28 23:30:58

Tio

Thanks! But if I want to save these settings and add them to a different XFCE install what file should I use for that? I have to mention that I am working on a custom linux distro with XFCE based on Manjaro and I wanted to add a different wallpaper for different workspaces. smile

#4 2021-09-29 00:59:16

ToZ
Administrator

I believe Manjaro uses /etc/skel to populate default new user values. You'd probably want to change the /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop..xml. When you create a new user account, it will copy those values as default values into the user account.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2021-09-29 01:08:07

Tio

Yup that's exactly what I am doing that's why I am confused because it doesn't have an impact. This is what file's code https://paste.trom.tf/hatapuliqu.xml

And yet after I build the ISO different workspaces do not have different wallpapers and I am so confused as to why smile .

#6 2021-09-29 01:35:31

ToZ
Administrator

Okay, I think this might have something to do with the migration code in xfdesktop. For some more info, have a read through https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=14986. The migration code is called when xfdesktop has to create a new set of settings for devices that don't conform with the default layout, and this migration code doesn't migrate the single-workspace-number setting.

In your tests, when you create a new user, does the new xfce4-desktop xfconf channel contain a single-workspace-number property set to false or 0?

In that other thread, I suggested a script to create the necessary additional xfconf property through the new user set up process. Perhaps you can model something after that script/process.

#7 2021-09-29 15:09:34

Tio

I see thank you very much! We will look into that!

#8 2021-09-29 16:20:34

peter.48

I'm curious: why don't you do it in the graphical interface ("desktop settings")? is much faster and simpler...

Last edited by peter.48 (2021-09-29 16:21:31)

#9 2021-09-29 21:33:12

Tio

peter.48 wrote:

I'm curious: why don't you do it in the graphical interface ("desktop settings")? is much faster and simpler...

I do it like that, but I want to port these changes to another ISO. We build a custom Manjaro Linux and want to switch from Gnome to XFCE - tromjaro.com that's our project. And so far XFCE is so wonderful I can't believe it, but we wanted to add a different background image for each workspace, and we can't seem to figure how to properly do that for the build ISO. Usually you use some config files, but in this case it seems more complicated.

#10 2021-10-01 01:09:54

Skaperen

workspaces is an X "hack" in the original sense of the word.  it is actual one screen space and switching involves minimizing the windows being switched away from and exposing the windows being switched to.  having a different background in each workspace means loading a new one each time you switch workspace to one with a different one.  X is doing the work and the Window Manager is telling it what to do.  these days it seems to be done with viewports that treat it all as one giant space you move around in and can even have a view cross as many as 4 workspace (corners).

if there is a way to always trigger some action when a workspace is switched, you can have that action load the correct background.  i am not aware of a way to do that.  i've wanted to have different colors in a particular workspace.

this is not a "normal" way X settings apply.  so it needs hacks like this to affect workspaces.  what the Window Manager does do is still technically a hack.  but it's just implemented more directly.  maybe a newer Window Manager can do this for us, but i don't know what's out there.

Board footer