Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-09 17:45:37

h-panel-04

How to decrease the size of panel buttons (not icons)

Hello I’m configuring the look of xfce panel icons.

I've managed to get it look like this (with the generous help&info in this forum):
screenshot
https://imgur.com/a/uNo4HRA

by editing ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file this way:
#pulseaudio-button * {-gtk-icon-transform: scale(.33);}
#xfce4-power-manager-plugin * {-gtk-icon-transform: scale(.33);}

My question is:

How can the icons be optimized so the gap between them would be smaller and they would appear closer together?

I'm happy with the icon size, I would just like to reduce the gap in-between them. I've tried to play with negative padding and margins in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css but didn't seem to do anything (maybe I'm not doing it correctly). I’m using Xubuntu 21.10, XFCE 4.16, panel row size 52px

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 2021-11-09 19:21:59

CwF

Re: How to decrease the size of panel buttons (not icons)

Keep in mind that there is some 'discovery' that automagically happens if you manipulate the panel size in a drag-n-drop kind of way, and see if things settle out differently. Many times after upgrades I've seen things change, and the answer has been similar - wiggle things around a bit!

This advice is to prevent the inclination to try and hard code things in, things that have some dynamic capabilities to adjust - that you shortcut with hard coded variables.

Use a pattern of cycling panel size up/down whenever you change the icon sizes within it. Use the 'Application Area' dialog to set maximum size (32). Then expand and contract the panel row size..

Works for me!

Last edited by CwF (2021-11-09 19:25:52)

#3 2021-11-09 19:27:02

KBar

h-panel-04 wrote:

My question is:

How can the icons be optimized so the gap between them would be smaller and they would appear closer together?

I think the values are hard-coded, so the answer to your question is that you can't.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#4 2021-11-09 20:03:01

CwF

KBar wrote:

I think the values are hard-coded, so the answer to your question is that you can't.

They can, as I said. In the top pic all of the indicators bt, wifi,vol, etc can be the same size as the neighboring icon with similar spacing... Mine are.

Board footer