Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-13 19:26:13

DerTom123

Taskbar Problems and Questions | Window Icon | Grouping arrangement...

Hi There,

as i do not boot often and code a lot, i have three Questions:

1. Is there a way to have for Example a running VM in Virtualbox put to a TrayIcon instead of stealing my precious space for the Taskbar/List ?
2. I really love the grouping of open Windows, but it rearranges it every time i open a new one. Is there a way to have a certain order and grouping ? I tried all the settings in the options for the Taskbar but without luck. At the moment i just have them ungrouped and no sorting.

For Example, if i add grouping, it sorts the grouped windows in front, which i really do not like. As you constantly have to search for the right group ? If i want to grab the grouped windows, that unfortunately does not work, i can not rearrange them to some other location.

Is there maybe a way i can make a file and tell the Taskbar, to group them always in the same order ? Like FF first, PyCharm next, Terminal, DoubleCommander, etc ?

3. Can i somehow have a different color or description or even icon for a particular Terminal Window ?

Sorry for the lot of questions, but when i search in google or elsewhere, i do not find any competent answer...

Last edited by DerTom123 (2021-12-13 19:26:35)

#2 2021-12-13 21:14:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Taskbar Problems and Questions | Window Icon | Grouping arrangement...

Hello and welcome.

DerTom123 wrote:

1. Is there a way to have for Example a running VM in Virtualbox put to a TrayIcon instead of stealing my precious space for the Taskbar/List ?

Assuming the host is a Linux computer, then this would depend on Virtualbox offering trayicon support - which I don't believe it does. There used to be a indicator-virtualbox that might have worked, but that code is 10 years old. Would be a nice Xfce plugin if someone was willing to develop it.

2. I really love the grouping of open Windows, but it rearranges it every time i open a new one. Is there a way to have a certain order and grouping ? I tried all the settings in the options for the Taskbar but without luck. At the moment i just have them ungrouped and no sorting.

For Example, if i add grouping, it sorts the grouped windows in front, which i really do not like. As you constantly have to search for the right group ? If i want to grab the grouped windows, that unfortunately does not work, i can not rearrange them to some other location.

Is there maybe a way i can make a file and tell the Taskbar, to group them always in the same order ? Like FF first, PyCharm next, Terminal, DoubleCommander, etc ?

Unfortunately, grouping is hard-coded to appear above single applications in the default Window Buttons (tasklist) plugin.

3. Can i somehow have a different color or description or even icon for a particular Terminal Window ?

Depending on the version you are running, you can do something like:

xfce4-terminal -T "MyTitle" --color-text=green --color-bg=red --icon=gtk-edit

(with version 0.8.10)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-12-14 09:42:30

DerTom123

Hi ToZ, Thank you for your Help and Time.

Then it is like it is and i have to live with it.

#4 2021-12-14 23:59:24

ToZ
Administrator

With respect to a different icon as well, see: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal/-/issues/77.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer