Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-21 11:16:46

jarnos
Website

How to make Xfce remeber last display configuration?

I am using Xfce 14.4 (in Xubuntu 20.04). When I use Display app (i.e. xfce4-display-settings) and log out, then log in, the display configuration is the same. But if I just use xrandr to set up display configuration, it is not remembered. How to make it remember current configuration by command line?

#2 2021-12-21 12:27:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to make Xfce remeber last display configuration?

In the Display Settings, there is an Advanced tab. Once you have the displays set up the way you want with xrandr, click on the "Create a new display profile" button and give the profile a name to save it. Also turn on the "Configure new displays when connected" option. Now when a new display configurations is noted that matches the profile, it will apply the saved display settings.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-12-21 16:00:59

jarnos
Website

Even if you have not set up any profiles, system remembers last used output, if you have set it using the "Display" utility. This is not the case, if you use just xrandr. As for profiles, the display profile setting does not store used appearance setting, if you e.g. want to use different custom DPI setting with different output.

#4 2021-12-22 10:01:32

jarnos
Website

I don't quite understand how "Configure new displays when connected" matches profiles. There may be more than one profile which involves a monitor.

#5 2021-12-22 12:16:25

ToZ
Administrator

Profiles are matched based on monitor EDID. Have a read through this blog post that discusses how it works. For multiple hits involving the same monitor configuration, it grabs the first.

However, I don't believe it stores settings like custom DPI.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer