Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-28 05:09:25

JASx

No data available for Weather Update panel?

#2 2021-12-28 12:58:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: No data available for Weather Update panel?

Which distro and what version of the xfce4-weather-plugin panel are you using?

Is there anything in your ~/.xsession-errors file from the weather-plugin?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-12-28 18:06:40

peter.48

Season Greatings to all!

It's not about the same problem, but as it is about xfce4-weather-plugin, I write it here.
Plugin was wrong, but theoretically with new version (0.11.0) everything had to be fixed. Unfortunately it is not so, randomly scrollbox elements disappear, leaving only the weather icon - it is not the same bug as mentioned by JASx, which in previous versions became desperate, but it is still a bug...
I don't have .xsessions-errors at the moment, but I remember that there were some "WARNINGs" about the weather plugin.
(fedora 34, xfce 4.16.3)

#4 2021-12-28 19:19:36

ToZ
Administrator

peter.48 wrote:

I don't have .xsessions-errors at the moment, but I remember that there were some "WARNINGs" about the weather plugin.

That information would be very useful if you could get it. You could also run xfce4-panel in debug mode to see similar outputs:

xfce4-panel -q && PANEL_DEBUG=1 xfce4-panel

Earlier that version 0.11 won't work due to a deprecated API with met.no. See: https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … /issues/27.

0.11 also migrated settings from rc-based files to xfconf - perhaps there is a bug there if you are losing scrollbox elements. Log entries would help identify the cause.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2022-01-10 06:55:19

KBar

To my surprise, this morning xfce4-weather-plugin suddenly just reset all of its configs. This is the second or the third time it's happened. Last time was a month or two ago.

I don't see anything suspicious in logs. How can I detect and identify the problem, and make sure this never happens again?

Last edited by KBar (2022-01-10 06:56:10)

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#6 2022-01-10 12:09:04

ToZ
Administrator

This will be difficult to troubleshoot without some indication from logs, but if nothing is being logged....

There is this "older" bug report - https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … -/issues/2 - but if you have the newer version of the weather plugin it will be using xfconf to store its settings and not rc files anymore.

#7 2022-01-10 12:53:40

KBar

.xsession-errors only showed it getting data from the provider (after I clicked on its icon) in a single line.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#8 2022-01-10 16:21:08

ToZ
Administrator

You could try running xfce4-panel in debug mode for the weather plugin and "hope" that it happens again. Might log something:

PANEL_DEBUG=weather xfce4-panel

...or might just create a very large log file (if logging to a file). Keep an eye on it so it doesn't use up all your disk space.

#9 2022-01-10 16:24:30

KBar

Awesome! I'll probably redirect it too /tmp since I don't want it to be persistent.

#10 2022-01-10 16:46:56

ToZ
Administrator

Or you could try something a little different. genmon with the following script. (Note: you'll need the noto emoji fonts installed to render the weather characters).

#11 2022-01-10 16:59:04

KBar

Hmm, it has just occurred to me: maybe I can prevent this from happening by changing the .rc file to be read-only? I noticed that it just overwrites the existing profile (the number suffix doesn't change).

Board footer