Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-30 13:13:52

KBar

[SOLVED] Desktop icons keep returning to a weird sorting

Reply #4 fixes this behavior.

ToZ wrote:

What happens if you delete all of the files in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop and then re-start the panel? The files will get re-created as required.

I had a bunch of files on my desktop the other day and decided to delete them since I no longer need to work on them. After that, I rearranged the remaining with the Arrange Desktop Icons option. It sorted everything in a nice alphabetical order. However the very next session, all of the icons but File System and Home were moved one column to the right. There are no files that start with '.', i.e. hidden files.

I figured that their order is saved in a file in the ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/ directory. Is that xfdesktop creating those files? If so, why do my icons keep moving one column to the right on every startup?

EDIT: Well, looks like it sorted itself out.

Last edited by KBar (2021-12-31 03:14:15)

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#2 2021-12-30 15:44:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Desktop icons keep returning to a weird sorting

Yes xfdesktop creates those files. There is an ongoing issue with xfdesktop where, for some people, desktop icons auto-arrange themselves. Those files you reference are what tracks the position of the icons. The logic is based on grid positioning of available desktop space (desktop resolution - panel dimensions). I think that in some cases xfdesktop starts and places the icons before the panel has fully loaded and claimed the extra dimensions resulting in icons moving around, but that's just a hunch.

Maybe you were seeing something similar?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-12-30 16:30:19

KBar

ToZ wrote:

I think that in some cases xfdesktop starts and places the icons before the panel has fully loaded and claimed the extra dimensions resulting in icons moving around, but that's just a hunch.

Maybe you were seeing something similar?

Yes, that might be it, but that still doesn't explain why system icons aren't affected.

After restarting the panel, they got misplaced once again. On my system, xfce4-session has 5 clients and xfdesktop loads after xfce4-panel. However, since I restart the panels constantly (for testing), the order becomes reversed (xfce4-panel reloaded after running xfdesktop) and icons get pushed in.

I'm not sure if I should be removing the solved tag. I'm certain that the issue will disappear once I stop playing with my panels, but this bug will affect someone who might have their entire panel crashed and are forced to restart it only to find out that their whole desktop is messed up now.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#4 2021-12-30 19:23:01

ToZ
Administrator

What happens if you delete all of the files in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop and then re-start the panel? The files will get re-created as required.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-12-31 03:12:24

KBar

Yep, that sorted it out! We're good now.

Thank you.

Board footer