Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-14 20:08:15

paintcheck

Custom Printer out of Paper

Is there a way to change the size of the notifications for things like the printer being out of paper.

Long story short - I've built some custom kiosks for check-ins on XFCE that print to Zebra Label Printers.  This is for a non-profit so I'm not charging and doing my best.  I've got everything down pretty good except the current issue is when the printers run out, users do not realize it - try to check in and add more to the print queue.  Is there a way to display a larger message that stays above other windows until cleared to kindly let people know the kiosk is out of paper?  Thanks for any ideas.

#2 2022-01-14 20:53:45

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Custom Printer out of Paper

Hello and welcome.

Is a notification sent now when the printer runs out?

Can you programmatically determine, via a command line tool, whether the printer is empty? If so, you could send your own notification with the -t parameter set to "0" - meaning it will not timeout and will require a click to dismiss. Something like:

notify-send -t 0 "Printer is empty" "Please refill" -i printer

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-01-14 21:40:45

paintcheck

Re: Custom Printer out of Paper

That makes sense, I will start looking to writing something that can query cups and use notify-send - Thanks!

Board footer