Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-23 17:20:48

dm999

[Solved] Style the active Window Button on Panel

Another gtk.css request -

Can anyone help with the necessary css to enable the active Window Button on the Panel to have a coloured line along the bottom, like that used in the Adapta theme? -

adapta.png

Thanks, DM.

Last edited by dm999 (2022-04-11 20:01:33)

#2 2022-01-23 18:51:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Style the active Window Button on Panel

The windows button style class is ".tasklist". The tasklist is made up of a number of "buttons". The active state for a button uses the peudo-class "checked". More info here.

Each button allows for a border-color and border-width property that can be further defined by location (top, bottom, left, right). So putting it all together:

.tasklist button:checked { border-bottom-color: blue; border-bottom-width: 3px; }

Note: You may need to override a few other properties depending on the theme you are using, but the above will probably work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-01-23 19:54:57

dm999

Thanks ToZ, I was able to get the above to work with some themes, but not with any of the Mint themes. What else might I need to over-ride if I were to continue to use a Mint theme?

I've bookmarked that gtk link, lots to learn yet!

Cheers, DM.

#4 2022-01-23 20:21:49

KBar

Which themes are you talking about? Without knowing that, I'd suggest trying the following selectors:

.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:active, .xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:checked

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#5 2022-01-23 20:35:04

dm999

Hi KBar, thanks, I'm using the Mint-Y theme, the additions to gtk.css are -

.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button { 
color: shade(#fff, 0.8);
background-color: transparent;
}
.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:active, .xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:checked {
color: #fff; 
border-bottom-color: red; border-bottom-width: 3px;
}

This doesn't add the bottom border when using Mint-Y but it does if I select Adwaita, for example.

I'm using Linux Mint Xfce, 20.3.

#6 2022-01-23 20:45:09

KBar

Can you share a screenshot of Mint-Y and Adwaita?

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-01-23 20:48:10

ToZ
Administrator

The Mint themes specify "border: none" so no border is visible. You need to add a "border-bottom-style: solid" to make it appear.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2022-01-23 20:51:44

KBar

Nice catch, ToZ!

#9 2022-01-23 20:56:36

dm999

ToZ wrote:

The Mint themes specify "border: none" so no border is visible. You need to add a "border-bottom-style: solid" to make it appear.

Aha, that nailed it, thank you ToZ, and thanks to KBar as well.

.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button { 
color: shade(#fff, 0.8);
background-color: transparent;
}

.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:active, .xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:checked {
color: #fff; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: blue; border-bottom-width: 3px;
}

Board footer