Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-20 00:03:42

Skaperen

what Display Manager in Xubuntu 20.04 and 22.04?

Ubuntu 20.04 will use Gnome Display Manager (GDM).  i just don't know if the X... series of Ubuntus change that or not.  in my older Xubuntu 18.04 it is LightDM.  if they also use LightDM, then i won't change.  but, if they will be changing then i need to study if my custom uses of LightDM can be done with the new DM.  that or see if there are other issues switching back to LightDM.

i currently make use of "dm-tool switch-to-user" frequently.  i've already used it twice while typing this post up to this point (to look at stuff in other users).  i do this via keyboard shortcuts.  i also have many user names in group "nopasswdlogin" so that switching to these users does not prompt for login on the console (it still does on VT and SSH).  i currently have 15 uses logged in, each with 10 workspaces (a Window Manager thing).  i can switch around very fast.  i've had as many as 24 users logged in before and that was stressing my 16GB RAM and 16GB swap.

i have found no place that details what i want to know about various DMs.  the Wikipedia page about LightDM does not mention all the stuff i use so they are not a good source unless all DMs have these features.

i currently need to move to new hardware (to get off a failing keyboard).  i'm trying to decide if the move to Xubuntu 20.04 should be done at the same time.  if there is a risk of things requiring major configuration changes then i'll stay on the old Xubuntu, probably until 22.04 has been out for a couple months.  that's in addition to finding the new names for all my extra packages.

#2 2022-02-21 17:24:44

mint4all

Re: what Display Manager in Xubuntu 20.04 and 22.04?

Greetings!

Linux Mint 20.*-xfce is running lightdm (confirmed this fact with pstree). Per mint's forum, it looks like the other editions (Cinnamon & Mate) are also using lightdm. As they are all built upon ubuntu's 20.04.4 base, which includes xubuntu 20.04.4, my guess is that xubuntu is using lightdm. Checking this out with a live .iso would further confirm that.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2022-02-22 03:16:38

Skaperen

Re: what Display Manager in Xubuntu 20.04 and 22.04?

that's a good question ... "does the live .iso run lightDM?".  i can envision it not doing so and just starting X on its own.  but it also could be doing that.  once a long background job is done, i could check that.   that or i need to set up a VM.

Board footer