Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-02 07:35:31

archeboom

display diag probllem (Solved)

Hello everyone, is it possible to disable this window somewhere in the config? just such a problem: when you open virtualbox, this window appears every minute, even when you log in, previously it appeared on its own, I thought reinstalling the system would help but no

Configure new displays dialog.
https://imgur.com/a/MC6zWKehttps://imgur.com/a/MC6zWKe

Last edited by archeboom (2022-05-02 11:41:49)

#2 2022-05-02 09:18:25

KBar

Re: display diag probllem (Solved)

Hi and welcome to our forums.

Can you shed a bit more light on to what's going on here? Is this taken from an Oracle VM VirtualBox guest? How many monitors do you have? What version of Xfce is installed? What distribution are you running? Did you try creating a new virtual machine with default configs?

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-05-02 10:06:02

archeboom

KBar wrote:

Hi and welcome to our forums.

Can you shed a bit more light on to what's going on here? Is this taken from an Oracle VM VirtualBox guest? How many monitors do you have? What version of Xfce is installed? What distribution are you running? Did you try creating a new virtual machine with default configs?

xfce4 - 4.16
    archlinux Linux 5.17.5-arch1-1
    two monitor (laptop + monitor(vga))

1) when the system starts, the display settings window always appears, but this is only once I close it
2) if I run a virtual machine in Oracle VM VirtualBox, then every minute I get a display settings window!

Previously, it was even worse, it opened by itself, reinstalled the system, now it opens every minute only during system startup and virtual machines, it interferes with work. I couldn't find solutions on the internet.

#4 2022-05-02 10:33:25

ToZ
Administrator

Try deleting the "Display" shortcut in Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application shortcuts. It should be set by default to run "xfce4-display-settings --minimal".

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2022-05-02 10:45:59

archeboom

ToZ wrote:

Try deleting the "Display" shortcut in Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application shortcuts. It should be set by default to run "xfce4-display-settings --minimal".

OMG!!!
Thanks a lot, it helped!!

#6 2022-05-02 10:51:28

KBar

archeboom wrote:

2) if I run a virtual machine in Oracle VM VirtualBox, then every minute I get a display settings window!

Previously, it was even worse, it opened by itself, reinstalled the system, now it opens every minute only during system startup and virtual machines, it interferes with work. I couldn't find solutions on the internet.

That's way too specific.

Anyway, try ToZ's suggestion first and let's see if that solves it.

EDIT: Ah, you posted just before me. Glad you got it sorted. Please don't forget to mark this as solved, so others can navigate through search results more easily.

Last edited by KBar (2022-05-02 10:52:27)

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-05-02 11:03:38

ToZ
Administrator

Something in your configuration/setup/virtualbox is continually triggering the XF86Display event in X and Xfce is reacting to it. I've come across this before in different situations but never dug deep enough to understand why it was happening. Removing this shortcut always helps in these situations, but it doesn't resolve the underlying issue - that something is continually triggering the XF86Display event.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2022-05-02 11:25:20

KBar

XF86Display is on keycode 243 on my system. And it's defined in linux/input-event-codes.h as:

#define KEY_BRIGHTNESS_CYCLE    243     /* brightness up, after max is min */

Could be the brightness keys.

Board footer