Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-21 08:38:56

odvx

Panel autohide/intellgent hide and desktop icons placement

Hello,

I'd like to submit you a question about the "autohide"/"intelligent hide" panel logic.
Not that it is a great problem, but never found any real workaround to solve this usability problem in spite of plenty of searches and trials.

Here's the question :

1) If you choose a permanent panel, let's say on the left, the dekstop, icons are pushed to the right of the panel in order not to be covered by it. That is quite sensible.
There's still an option to decide not to preserve a space for the panel and allow the icons to be covered by it (don't know why someone would choose that, but it is available).
2) If I choose an autohide or intelligent hide panel, the desktop icons stay behind the panel, and furthermore, the preserve space option disappears ! That does not seem logical to me : if I autohide / intelligent hide the panel, I should be allowed to preserve space so that the icons stay away from the panel when it comes back.

Am I alone to find this annoying and strange ? By the way, tried with mate-desktop, and the same strange usability logic seems to apply.

Any thoughts and solutions for that ?

Thanks

#2 2022-05-21 11:50:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel autohide/intellgent hide and desktop icons placement

Hello and welcome.

When a panel hides, it doesn't have any geometry (outside of the 2-3px sliver as an indicator that it is there). Though the preset geometry is still known.

I should be allowed to preserve space so that the icons stay away from the panel when it comes back.

You'd probably need to create an enhancement request.

Am I alone to find this annoying and strange ?

Its the first I've heard anyone mention it, so its probably not common.

If helpful, you can specify a location for the icons (Settings Manager > Desktop > Icons > Icons Orientation) allowing you to place the icons in another side of the screen to avoid the overlap.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-05-23 18:49:36

odvx

Re: Panel autohide/intellgent hide and desktop icons placement

Thanks for the advice. I will post an enhancement request. We'll see...

Board footer