Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-27 03:36:49

mwinfie

Cannot copy(or cut) / paste between xterm.exe and xfce4-terminal.exe

Hello,

I'm running cygwin3.3.5-341.x86_64  and using the Xfce Desktop Environment 4.12

Everything is ALMOST perfect in my Xfce desktop environment EXCEPT the inability to copy (and cut  ) and paste between terminals created with xterm and terminals created with xfce4-terminal.   

I can copy/paste just fine to both from web browsers, notepad, etc.  or any other application item, but when I try to copy / paste between xterm & xfce4-terminal (or vice-versa) -- it just doesn't work.

I select text with my right mouse button and paste using the middle mouse ball.   It's a bit of a maddening problem.  Not sure what kind of wall exists between the two.

Any insights or ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Malcolm.
'

#2 2022-07-27 10:40:30

KBar

Re: Cannot copy(or cut) / paste between xterm.exe and xfce4-terminal.exe

The XTerm FAQ and ArchWiki provide extensive information about how XTerm handles selections, as well as instructions on how you can tweak the buffer.

By default, selecting a text in any X window (left-click-and-drag action) should put it in the buffer called PRIMARY selection, accessible in any other X window by middle-clicking inside a text area. On Xubuntu 20.04, I can use the buffer between applications just fine.

When it comes to copy and pasting, most terminal emulators use Ctrl+Shift+c and Ctrl+Shift+v, respectively, because Ctrl+character may be bound to some signals and control sequences. XTerm, however, uses Shift+Insert for pasting text from the clipboard.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer