Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-30 01:48:18

Skaperen

the future of Xfce on Wayland

can anyone comment on the future of Xfce on Wayland?  i have heard LightDM is incompatible with Wayland and fear that Xfce is particularly incompatible.

#2 2022-07-30 04:41:29

KBar

Re: the future of Xfce on Wayland

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-07-30 10:51:18

ToZ
Administrator

Some initial work has started on migrating xfwm4 to make it wayland compatible. Here is the github page and you can view some discussions about it at the xfce4-dev mailing list here. Its an interesting initiative that hopefully bears some fruit in bringing wayland support to Xfce.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2022-07-31 23:52:04

Skaperen

i need to expand my coding realm into graphics with X and Wayland.

things i have read say there is substantial advantages in the Wayland API.  i suspect there may be development of a library to support X calls and make Wayland calls.  if it exits, that would be one way to get started.  then transition to native-like Wayland calling.  hopefully it can work by pretending to be xlib so it can work with binaries that lack source.

Last edited by Skaperen (2022-07-31 23:52:37)

#5 2022-08-01 20:00:22

ka_

Skaperen wrote:

i have heard LightDM is incompatible with Wayland and fear that Xfce is particularly incompatible.

LightDM is Wayland compatible for 2 years.
There is a Wayland greeter and the KDE greeter works with Wayland too.
So no fear, that Xfce will start or be with a Wayland incompatible Session-Manager. smile

Wayland-greeter for LightDM:
https://github.com/max-moser/lightdm-elephant-greeter

greetings _ka_

OS: Tumbleweed - Desktop : XFCE - PC: Lenovo e14 - AMD-Ryzen 5500U - Vega7 - 16GB Ram

Board footer