Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-04 04:25:45

mysticDan

Standardized UX responsiveness testing for Linux distros

Hello,
Yep, I have caught a minor case of distro hopping fever.
Actually I tested out Fedora, Pop OS, OpenSUSE, so far I am happy with the XFCE DE.
Am I correct in understanding that XFCE is the standard DE used on Knoppix STD/Backtrack? Is it called KALI now?
So I am curious to find a standardized testing application that measures UX responsiveness.
I will be comparing bare metal installs vs. ESXi instances running on my homelab machine, GNOME vs KDE vs XFCE vs MATE vs Cinnamon vs that other one I can't remember right now...
I am interested in making (or contributing to if already built) a userbenchmark type situation where users can contribute their scores, perhaps similar to that "Windows performance experience score" where you get a nice round number out of 10, and then a summary of how much mouse input lag you are getting, how many miliseconds it takes the OS to show the output of keyboard shortcuts and numerous other factors like operational overhead, identifying resources that are spun up but not producing any meaningful outcomes for the user, I am interested in UX optimization and streamlining.
I think there is way too much content on your various video streaming sites, I just want to structure it in a straightforward visual web application format similar to what you see on userbenchmark where anyone can contribute verified results and maybe that will be useful to someone.
I will just use it myself to determine the most fun and responsive configuration for this little 8th gen i5 ThinkPad that I quite like but that Michaelsoft seems eager to obsolete.
Let me know what terminal tools I should be familiar with to measure these aspects of the XFCE experience and I will post updates to the project here.
Also, if I may, adding CTRL + Enter as a keyboad shortcut in the compose message field of this forum would be awesome to send a message.
<3
mysticDan

#2 2022-08-04 05:59:17

KBar

Re: Standardized UX responsiveness testing for Linux distros

mysticDan wrote:

Hello,

Hello and welcome to the Xfce Forums!

Yep, I have caught a minor case of distro hopping fever.

I've heard it's extremely contagious, so no surprises here.

Let me know what terminal tools I should be familiar with to measure these aspects of the XFCE experience and I will post updates to the project here.

The only one that I know of and occasionally use is the time utility, though it only counts the real and CPU times. Also, most GTK apps support --enable-debug=all. It will log all events with timestamps. I'm not exactly sure if it's relevant in your case but you may try launching a GTK app with this option and see if there's anything interesting in the output. It will spam standard error so you'd probably want to redirect it to a temporary file (if you have lots of free space, that is). The documentation is available here.

Overall, I think it's a cool idea. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Also, if I may, adding CTRL + Enter as a keyboad shortcut in the compose message field of this forum would be awesome to send a message.

You can press Tab once and it will select the Submit button. From there, only pressing Enter is left.

Last edited by KBar (2022-08-04 06:17:18)

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer