Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-21 01:01:11

xfceforumorg1220

dconf gsettings xfconf-query

When I am presented with a question about a setting that affects the XFCE desktop, I sometimes use brute force and then narrow in on a setting.

As far as I know, these commands should produce all settings that affect the XFCE desktop.

gsettings
for s in $( gsettings list-schemas ); do gsettings list-recursively $s ; done

xfconf-query
for channel in $( xfconf-query --list | tail --lines=+2 | sort ); do   printf -- '\n\e[1;36m%s\e[m\n' "${channel}";   xfconf-query --list --verbose --channel "${channel}"; done

dconf
dconf dump /

I don't quite have a handle on dconf yet.  Does anyone know why the dconf command does not show everything that the gsettings command shows?

I thought looping through gsettings recursively would produce the same output as dumping dconf.

Thank you.

#2 2022-09-21 04:50:23

KBar

Re: dconf gsettings xfconf-query

You can just:

gsettings list-recursively | grep -Fi "your_string_here"

list-recursively already lists everything when not given arguments.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-09-21 06:07:43

xfceforumorg1220

Ok.

I do find I need to use both gsetting and xfconf-query.

But the big head-scratcher is why doesn't dconf dump produce the same keys and values as gsettings?  Isn't gsettings just accessing the dconf db?

#4 2022-09-21 22:32:23

ToZ
Administrator

Perhaps this might help with the explanation.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer