Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-29 04:05:15

Coding_Coolie

[SOLVED] Broken mailwatcher !!!

Hello Folks,

For quite a while now mail providers have all been drinking the same Kool-Aid, i.e., OAuth2 !!!

I only have two mail providers Gmail and my ISP, which has required OAuth2 for quite some time now too,
breaking the panel mail checker plugin, which chokes on OAuth2, and has no provision to enable it either.
Seems to me this would be a real issue for a lot of folks?
I would like to find out If, and When this issue might be addressed? Any Help Much appreciated!!!

N.B.
Almost forgot: Xfce version 4.16 running on Debian 11 Bullseye.
Admittedly Not the Bleeding Edge, but even the "Testing" repo lists no OAuth2 for the mail watcher plugin,
at this time. And the Xfce website info just says ssl/tls encryption is supported, but Not OAuth2.

Thanks

Last edited by Coding_Coolie (2022-09-29 19:23:53)

#2 2022-09-29 10:43:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Broken mailwatcher !!!

Hello and welcome.

There is an open bug report - just needs someone to code a solution.

With GMail, the mailwatch plugin will work if you set an app password on your GMail account, and use the app password instead of your regular password. This is what I'm using.

Another option includes using mailnag and the genmon plugin to track new emails

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-09-29 19:31:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Broken mailwatcher !!!

Coding_Coolie wrote:

This issue actually caused me to gather up the source for mailnag, gnubiff, and the Xfce mailwatcher plugin,
as well as the all the  Docs, RFC's, C and Python Libs, on OAuth2 I could find et al, because Nobody seemed
like they were going to address this Growing problem!  I'm a "Fairly good programmer", and this would be a
Challenge for Me to Fix, so I thought I'd try One Last Time to get some clarification which You supplied! ;^)

Glad I could help.
We're always looking for contributors if you're interested in coding a solution/enhancement for the mailwatch plugin.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer