Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-17 16:06:10

dirk362

Thunar detailed view column alignment css

I can't seem to find a way to adjust column alignment in Thunar, even with GTK Inspector.
There just seems to be a single ".thunar .treeview .view" style class.

In the available properties of the class, there isn't say "text-align" element. And none of those elements defined for font support changing alignment.

thunar-date-modified-left-align-gtk-introspect.png

With a default List View, the columns are
Name (left aligned)
Size (right aligned)
Type (left aligned)
Date Modified (left aligned)

What I was hoping to achieve was that the Date Modified column could be right aligned.
This would massively help with readability, and also with fixed columns and not having issues with the longest date and time forcing the display to look a certain way.

For example, in the screenshot below you can see how the layout looks with left aligned.

thunar-date-modified-left-align-edit.png

It would be much easier to read if right aligned.
It would be even better if anything with a modified date of today just showed the time only. But that would be a code change for sure.

Can anyone offer any advice on whether this is possible, or whether it is in fact hard-coded in the source?

I've checked and thunar custom date format doesn't support say Pango style usage (such as say Clock panel plugin does).

Last edited by dirk362 (2022-10-17 16:09:44)

#2 2022-10-17 16:28:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar detailed view column alignment css

Hello and welcome.

GTk's Label element doesn't support text alignment so I don't think you'll be able to get it work using CSS. I would suggest creating an enhancement request to see if the thunar developers would consider adding an alignment option for those fields.

Out of curiosity, which Pango style element would you use for alignment? I don't see one that would apply.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-10-17 16:50:25

dirk362

Re: Thunar detailed view column alignment css

Thanks. I'll look at raising an enhancement request.

For now, I may revert to using Nemo file manager for certain specific use cases. If I use the Modified Time column (instead of Modified Date) that is right aligned.

nemo-list-view.png

I was wrong on pango. I was thinking about the span element, but I was using that for font face, size, and colour. Not alignment. i.e.

<span foreground="#BAC3CF" face="DejaVu Sans Mono" size="x-small">%a %-d %b</span>%n<span foreground="#BAC3CF" face="DejaVu Sans Mono" size="x-large">%H:%M</span>

Board footer