Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-27 01:38:41

tunsoffun

Unexpected Window Behavior After Removing CSD from Dialogs

Following recent update to Xfce 4.18 in musl version of Void Linux I was delighted to see that the settings manager allowed me to remove CSD from Xfce4 windows. But, when I did so, I found that I could no longer position those dialog windows using the <Super><NumPad_Key> key combinations.

I mentioned that I'm using the musl version of Void just in case some characteristic of the musl system is at play here.

Ideas?

My most successful patches have been applied to the knees of bluejeans.

#2 2022-12-27 02:43:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Unexpected Window Behavior After Removing CSD from Dialogs

Just checked and can confirm. Looks like a bug. I did some research and found this closed bug report that seems relevant. Not sure what to make of it though.

Funny thing is, as you've noted, that in 4.16, it seems to work fine. Maybe post back into that bug report with more info or create a new bug report that references that one.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-12-27 03:00:56

tunsoffun

Thank you -- for the reply and for the link. I'll try to get a bit of time over the next couple of days to see if I can be useful.

#4 2022-12-29 22:34:01

tunsoffun

This is a little weird. Void rolled out a settings manager upgrade. I'm not seeing the location in xsettings where I unchecked use of client side decorations, and then re-checked it because I wasn't happy with the settings dialog window positioning behaviors.

Am I just being forgetful, or was not that setting present under xsettings?

#5 2022-12-31 01:06:40

ToZ
Administrator

Its located at Settings Manager > Appearance > Settings > "Enable header bars in dialogs". Or alternatively, the "/Gtk/DialogsUseHeader" key in the xsettings xfconf channel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2022-12-31 18:54:36

tunsoffun

Thanks, ToZ!

For some reason I was thinking that the feature was actually called Client Side Decorations.

Not sure whether or not I should report the window behavior sans CSD as a bug. It's true that no other windows, with or without CSD, are resistant to control with the Super-NumPad key combinations.

I'll have a think about it.

The other thing is that I'm not quite sure how to make the report. It appears to me that such a report might be a bit out of place at the link you provided.

Since I do prefer being able to tile windows on the fly, for the time being I'm just leaving the headers turned on.

Thanks again!

Board footer