Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-30 12:27:23

zebisnaga

Increase icons on open tabs

Hi guys,
I like to have only icons in open tabs because most of the time I have a couple of programs open and the title could be enormous.
The problem here is I can't increase the size of those icons only, for some reason they don't increase when I try to increase the panel icons (they are not fixed btw).
Is there a way I could increase the size of the icon?

https://i.imgur.com/7ObIjTU.png

As you can see, the brave icon is realy small as well as the terminal icon.

#2 2022-12-30 17:33:11

agashamu

Re: Increase icons on open tabs

Hello and welcome!
Your panel looks very small to me.
Right click on panel>panel>panel preferences
try to increase row size
also, on appearance tab, make sure the "adjust icon size automatically" is on.
You can also hide the panel different ways if you need the entire desktop for your windows or open programs on "display" tab.

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#3 2022-12-30 18:05:33

zebisnaga

agashamu wrote:

Hello and welcome!
Your panel looks very small to me.
Right click on panel>panel>panel preferences
try to increase row size
also, on appearance tab, make sure the "adjust icon size automatically" is on.
You can also hide the panel different ways if you need the entire desktop for your windows or open programs on "display" tab.

Thanks for you reply!
The problem here is not the right icons but the open programs on the left (where I have the red arrow pointed).
Even using your hints I got the same behavior

#4 2022-12-30 18:24:42

agashamu

Are you talking about open programs in "Window Buttons"?

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#5 2022-12-30 18:36:28

zebisnaga

agashamu wrote:

Are you talking about open programs in "Window Buttons"?

Hmmm I think thats whats called but not 100% sure.
But I took another print screen to show you what icons I am taking about (below).
https://i.imgur.com/J805h0w.png

#6 2022-12-30 19:09:17

agashamu

You can see the name of it if you hover over it (tooltips) or in panel preferences>items tab.
Select it there and edit it. I don't use it myself so I'm not sure what can be edited...
As a workaround, I would use two panels, move the first one to the right, second left, make the size 40-50 high, or what ever, and move windows buttons in it. That would give you bigger icons. Or, install Plank dock, it shows open programs. I think Plank can be placed anywhere on your desktop.
But maybe someone here will have a better solution for you.

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#7 2022-12-30 19:26:42

zebisnaga

Hmmm that workaround would work but I find odd not to be able to just increase these fonte/ícon size on those Windows

Thanks for the suggestion but I dont like plank dock as I realy like the default panel of xfce

Lets see if anyone could help in another way

#8 2022-12-30 19:34:57

agashamu

Maybe it could be done in gtk.css file.
ToZ, KBar would know. Wait for them.

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#9 2022-12-30 19:35:54

zebisnaga

agashamu wrote:

Maybe it could be done in gtk.css file.
ToZ, KBar would know. Wait for them.

Ye maybe but lets wait then
Not sure if they Will see this topic

#10 2022-12-30 21:08:38

mint4all

zebisnaga wrote:

Hmmm that workaround would work but I find odd not to be able to just increase these fonte/ícon size on those Windows

Thanks for the suggestion but I dont like plank dock as I realy like the default panel of xfce

Greetings!

As far as I know, the button sizes/dimensions are the same for all buttons on the SAME panel (but the experts here may know more). However, one workaround I used in the past is to use extra panels. Unlike some other DEs, xfce can have multiple panels, in different places, of different sizes/length and different orientations, and of course each with its own panel properties.

So in your case, you could reduce/shrink the length of the bottom panel to the right yet retaining all its properties (button sizes, order etc.). Then add/create a new, shorter panel, place it to the left of the one you just shorted, but giving it its own (larger) window-button sizes. Give that new panel whatever hiding & expansion properties you want, and insert separators (left/right/middle) to get the buttons aligned however you want...

Perhaps the above gets you closer to what you want without breaking things with custom .css overrides.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#11 2022-12-30 23:07:53

zebisnaga

mint4all wrote:
zebisnaga wrote:

Greetings!

As far as I know, the button sizes/dimensions are the same for all buttons on the SAME panel (but the experts here may know more). However, one workaround I used in the past is to use extra panels. Unlike some other DEs, xfce can have multiple panels, in different places, of different sizes/length and different orientations, and of course each with its own panel properties.

So in your case, you could reduce/shrink the length of the bottom panel to the right yet retaining all its properties (button sizes, order etc.). Then add/create a new, shorter panel, place it to the left of the one you just shorted, but giving it its own (larger) window-button sizes. Give that new panel whatever hiding & expansion properties you want, and insert separators (left/right/middle) to get the buttons aligned however you want...

Perhaps the above gets you closer to what you want without breaking things with custom .css overrides.

Cheers, m4a

Thanks for the reply
I understood what you said, but one thing Ive noticed was that when I increased the icon sizes the box would increase but not the icon it self, dunno if you know what i mean.

So doing this with too panels would not fix because this will happening again.

What I wanted was to increase the icon sizes of open programs on the panel

#12 2022-12-31 01:14:51

ToZ
Administrator

zebisnaga wrote:

This is still a bit of an issue to do properly - I believe I've read it will be addressed in the next release.  As you've noticed, setting icon size in the panel properties, also sets the icon size on the tasklist (window buttons) plugin. Have a read through this thread starting at post #11 for a workaround process to get the effect you are looking for.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#13 2022-12-31 01:16:16

mint4all

Yes, I understand what you observed ... I just tested this on my main system. Added a new panel with the only item being the "Window Buttons" plugin (flat buttons, no labels). When I set that new panel's "Row Size" below 36px, the plugin's icons snap down to the tiny 16px icon set -- admittedly hard to see with my old eyes. But when set to any size above 35px (36 and up), the plugin's icons snap up to what looks like the 32px icon set.

Odd behavior, i agree, that only 2 icon sizes are supported: 16px and 32px regardless of how large the row size is being set (I tested it to the max of 128px). Yes, the buttons' "box" scales up, but not the button image/icon. Looks like a hard-coded limit where one wouldm't expect it. One option would be to use a .css setting to reduce the buttons' padding within the box, as well as scaling up the image -- alas, these are custom tweaks I can't help you with, regrettably.

However, if you can live with the 36px row size solution, that might get you by for now...

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#14 2022-12-31 14:13:35

zebisnaga

ToZ wrote:
zebisnaga wrote:

This is still a bit of an issue to do properly - I believe I've read it will be addressed in the next release.  As you've noticed, setting icon size in the panel properties, also sets the icon size on the tasklist (window buttons) plugin. Have a read through this thread starting at post #11 for a workaround process to get the effect you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply
Ill follow the other topic, just wondering, this is going to be available on the next release without workarounds? When will it be more or less?

#15 2022-12-31 16:24:40

CwF

I've noticed there seems to be thresholds on sizing when a range seems to not adjust much, then a jump..
I use 42 and the seems to be a jump around 38-40. So adjusting from the 20's up may not get the right size, but going over then adjusting down to desired works.

Like analog tube based tuners that will tune cleanly only from one side and not the other, ie, drop into rather than increase into.

#16 2022-12-31 18:48:06

zebisnaga

ToZ wrote:
zebisnaga wrote:

Tried the solution you said and it worked but its kinda meh that I needed to do that this way hmm
Do you think this will change in the next release so its possible to do this in another way?

#17 2022-12-31 18:58:29

Tamaranch

Starting with 4.19.0, which is soon (probably in January), the size of tasklist icons will follow the same logic as other plugins in general, typically like launchers.

So it won't be limited to 16 or 32px anymore, but it won't be possible to choose a specific icon size for the tasklist, if that's what is desired here (like for example for the systray).

Note that 4.19.0 will be a development version, the stable version 4.20 will be for much later (a priori two years).

Last edited by Tamaranch (2022-12-31 19:00:03)

#18 2022-12-31 19:10:30

agashamu

So the best solution for him still will be setting up two panels. One for the window buttons, and one for systray, etc. Right?

Last edited by agashamu (2022-12-31 19:11:46)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#19 2022-12-31 19:13:13

zebisnaga

Tamaranch wrote:

Starting with 4.19.0, which is soon (probably in January), the size of tasklist icons will follow the same logic as other plugins in general, typically like launchers.

So it won't be limited to 16 or 32px anymore, but it won't be possible to choose a specific icon size for the tasklist, if that's what is desired here (like for example for the systray).

Note that 4.19.0 will be a development version, the stable version 4.20 will be for much later (a priori two years).

Thanks for the reply!
Well so Ill need to wait for version 4.20 but until then I could use the workaround !
I wish I could use like 26px instead of 32px because its kinda big when its 32px.
Anway, thank you guys for the help and Happy New Year!

#20 2022-12-31 19:18:54

zebisnaga

agashamu wrote:

So the best solution for him still will be setting up two panels. One for the window buttons, and one for systray, etc. Right?

No because the window buttons don't have a range, they can only go from 16px up to 32px and thats a lot for my monitor.
The mail goal was to be able to set those window buttons to 20px for instance but thats not possible.

The workaround presented above was to increase everything up to 32px and then decrease the systray icons but again, 32px its a lot for me big_smile

But do you use the same setup as I do? I could use titles in the window buttons but I kinda like only the buttons big_smile

#21 2022-12-31 20:13:46

agashamu

My setup is different, totally customized. That's the way I like it!
Happy New Year to you and everybody!
https://imgur.com/ZalG6pH

Last edited by agashamu (2023-01-01 03:04:40)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

Board footer