Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-07 10:58:13

efdevse

[solved] Language/locale and mixed languages

Hi all,

I have got a problem I cant fig out. Something has happened, and now my system is in english, even if all settings are ok. So, if I could get some help figuring out whats missing it's be great. When I've neen searching around - it looks like Xfce has another way to set it. At least a lot of posts about that.

- - -

So, the setup is: Rocky Linux (8.7), installed with "sv_SE.utf8" and "en_US.utf8".

Output is ok:

$ localectl status
   System Locale: LANG=sv_SE.utf8
                  LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
       VC Keymap: se
      X11 Layout: se

$ locale
LANG=sv_SE.utf8
LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_TIME="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
LC_PAPER="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_NAME="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="sv_SE.utf8"
LC_ALL=

# and I've put LANG=sv_SE.utf to /etc/environment

So, even if it's in swedish on the login page, and swedish is selected in the language seletor… When logged in, it turns into english. <_<

So, the system is now in english - except of a few places, like the tooltip on the panel clock is in swedish. And the xdg "user-dirs".

It's been working great, and then it just changed. I *might* have deleted some en_UK, en_CA I saw somewhere - if that triggered the change. But I can't remember where it was.

Now, I *can* fix it by just setting/adding "LANGUAGE=sv" …but, then "LC_MESSAGES" won't have any effect (already tried that smile).

Instead of filling up some file with all the variables, I thought it would be great to see if it's possible to just find what's missing.

Any ideas?

I'd appreciate any help/info.

· Eric

Last edited by efdevse (2023-01-10 06:31:09)

#2 2023-01-07 20:28:23

peter.48

Re: [solved] Language/locale and mixed languages

I have looked now in my installation (4.16) in /usr/share/locale/ and I don't see "sv_SE" folder, I see only "sv". To my lazy knowledge all translations are in the .mo files which are in folders contained in /usr/share/locale/. Check if your installation contains the "sv_SE" folder and if it has any content...

#3 2023-01-07 22:23:26

efdevse

Thanks Peter, :+1:

Very interesting… I had that one too, or both. In sv_SE is the mo-file for Xfdashboard, and in sv - everything else. Can't swear, but I think I've had LANG=sv_SE.utf8 from start and still everything in Swedish (except LC_MESSAGE in english).

Well, I know if I put sv to LANGUAGE it will be correct (but overrides LC_MESSAGES). Maybe I should add the utf-variant too (ie. fallback)? Or maybe move the Xfdahsboard file into the sv-folder, and then just make sv_SE a symlink?

There are no locales named just “sv”:

localectl list-locales | grep sv
sv_FI
sv_FI.iso88591
sv_FI.iso885915@euro
sv_FI.utf8
sv_FI@euro
sv_SE
sv_SE.iso88591
sv_SE.iso885915
sv_SE.utf8

I guess there's an explaination for that - just a bit confusing.

I was thinking of the “.dmrc” file. Read about that one, and seems to be Xfce related. I don't have it here, but my Debian install does.

That one says:

[Desktop]
Session=lightdm-xsession
Language=sv_SE.utf8

Do you know if LANGUAGE=, by default, is empty or set to anything? Mine is empty now - in case that's the one I deleted.

· Eric

Last edited by efdevse (2023-01-07 22:31:15)

#4 2023-01-10 06:30:32

efdevse

For some scr*wed up reason, it switch back today. All I've done was to comment out anything, and planned to start all over again today with the settings. Well, all good then …hopefully.??

Board footer