Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-07 15:50:20

FerdiG

xfce4-terminal context menus

Hi,

I've installed xfce4-terminal on two different computers running Arch Linux.

On one computer, the terminals context menus and buttons are decorated with various icons (for example copy/paste, open terminal and so on). On the other computer however none of these menu decorations is being displayed and the menus just consist of plain text.

I'm running just the xfce4-terminal without a desktop environment on an i3 window manager. I suppose that the reason for the different look and feel must be some missing package or different settings, but I wasn't able to figure out what it might be.

Has anybody experienced similiar behaviour?

Thanks,
Ferdinand

Last edited by FerdiG (2023-02-07 15:50:50)

#2 2023-02-07 21:22:13

mint4all

Re: xfce4-terminal context menus

FerdiG wrote:

Hi,

I've installed xfce4-terminal on two different computers running Arch Linux.

On one computer, the terminals context menus and buttons are decorated with various icons (for example copy/paste, open terminal and so on). On the other computer however none of these menu decorations is being displayed and the menus just consist of plain text.

Greetings to you, and welcome to this forum!

Afaik, these mini-icons are provided to your app by the chosen icon set. For gtk-based apps (xfce4-terminal fits in this category), these icons are stored in the "actions" sub-folder of your theme's icon set. If these icons, or any particular one (ie "gtk-paste") are missing they won't be displayed. Thus you may have a theme/icon-set mismatch, or a broken/incomplete icon set. Would you take a look and check that both systems have the SAME theme setup? Also, are any costum icons installed in your systems' ~/.icons folder?

See Settings-menager > Appearance section > Style & Icons tabs

Cheers,
m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2023-02-08 10:35:29

FerdiG

Thank you for your reply, mint4all!

I'm using the Gruvbox-Material-Dark Theme on both computers. I checked the config and the icon themes are identical on both systems. But while looking through my config in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini I was able to figure out the real cause of my problem: The variables
gtk-button-images
gtk-menu-images
were both set to '0' ... turns out I was using lxappearance before to change my theme, and this tool sets both these variables to zero ... it's probably not a good idea to mix config tools from different desktop environments. :-)

Anyway, it's working now as expected ... thank you for helping out!

Cheers
Ferdinand

#4 2023-02-08 15:35:56

mint4all

Glad to have been of some assistance to you. Just for reference, I could not find the environment variables you speak of in the GTK documentation (@ https://docs.gtk.org/gtk3/running.html ) but they seem to be used anyways. Go figure ...

Ime, I learned that it is not a good idea to mix-n-match DE environments. Best approach: start fresh with any given DE, then stick with it. Since XFCE strikes a good balance between everything I need in a DE, I'm sticking with it. And this particular forum has helped me enormously along that path.

Cheers,
m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer