Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-19 14:58:15

dreamon

multimonitor/panel/windows alignment wrong

Hello.

I have a xfce desktop issue by use multiple monitors. I tested it over weeks and yesterday I could reproduce it.

## 3 Points I found out! ##

my setup:
- Xubuntu22.04 and XFCE 4.16 and same issue on Manjaro and XFCE4.18!!
- I use a laptop(1) and a second monitor(2) on top of it. ( setting panel monitor(1) on bottom this fault don’t happen )
- I arranged monitor setting so I can move mouse from laptop monitor(1) up to top monitor(2). works fine.
- on top of laptop(1) I have a panel ( horizontal, 100% length, output: set to laptop monitor, **Keep panel above windows** DISABLED)

1) moving a Window from laptop monitor(1) up to monitor(2) it stops moving on top panel position, going on moving mouse up, at position half height of monitor(2) windows jumps over to monitor(2)
→ this don’t happens if „Keep panel above windows“ is enabled!! there I can move without jumping.

2) „Keep panel above windows“ is enabled
- It fixes issue 1, but maximize a window on monitor(1) it cuts my window frame buttons on top (maximize,minimize on top of working programm) cause it overlaps with on top panel

3) Now the main issue. (**Keep panel above windows** DISABLED). By moving windows to monitor(2). Some programs like eagle 9.6.2, okular ( reinstall fixed it), teamviewer, Virtualbox Manager, I cannot get pull down menu like (file,edit) on monitor(2). Moving program window back to monitor(1) same window and program, pull down menus are normally shown. Movin window back to monitor(2) I see it colored marked „file“ by clicking on it, but the pull down menu isn’t opening.
Sometime I see parts of pull down menu on monitor(1). By the way. I don’t have overlapping window content. Its correct aligned! using arand

I also tried to set a top workspace margin on top of workspace1.  But the top margin only works on monitor(2) and not on monitor(1). If I set right margin this works an all monitors correct.

Don’t know how to fix it.

My wish is:
A panel on top of monitor(1). Maximize a window on monitor(1) all content and window frame with buttons should be visible. Moving window up to monitor(2) menu should work on all kind of programs. Maybe best fix is to move panel to the bottom?

Maybe its fixed on newer xfce versions?
I tested on manjaro and xubuntu so its a real fault.

Thanks for reading, maybe someone knows more than me?

#2 2023-03-19 15:02:23

Tamaranch

Re: multimonitor/panel/windows alignment wrong

Already answered on IRC:

Tamaranch wrote:

Basically you guessed right when you said:
> Maybe best fix is to move panel to the bottom?
No fix to expect about this.
See e.g. https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/-/is … note_67209

Board footer