Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-22 11:58:25

Brian

Horizontal task list ordering in multi row panel setup

Hello all,

I normally use a double row task bar set up which mostly works well in XFCE. However the one issue I have with it is that the window entries in the task list get ordered/stacked first vertically into columns, before making use of the horizontal space. Is it possible to change it so that they will instead order first in the horizontal direction? That is, they would populate the first row, and only after filling that would they then start to spill over to the second row. It would be really nice if there was a toggle option to switch between these two ordering behaviours.

Let me know if the question is unclear and I can make some screenshots to better clarify.

I have had a search here and couldn't find any previous discussions on this. But from looking at the documentations I was wondering if it might be possible with some addition to the gtk.css file starting with .xfce4-panel .tasklist...? I have no coding abilities, but can just about handle modifying config files ok smile

P.S. I am fairly new to Linux in general having last tried out a few distributions perhaps a decade ago. But I have been doing a lot of testing across a much wider range of distributions over the past few months and have increasingly found XFCE to be the desktop environment that I feel most at home with, particularly the TROMjaro implementation.

#2 2023-03-22 13:21:21

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Horizontal task list ordering in multi row panel setup

Hello and welcome.

As far as I can tell, it appears that button placement is hard-coded to fill columns-first (on horizontal panels). It would be a good idea to create an enhancement request to add an option to fill rows-first on a horizontal panel. We'll need to consider order placement for the other orientations as well (deskbar, vertical).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-03-22 16:11:36

Brian

Re: Horizontal task list ordering in multi row panel setup

Thank you for looking into this! I have now registered and created an issue for this as suggested:
https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/-/issues/721

Board footer