Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-22 15:37:39

dtd

Configuring Panel on 4.18

For context I'm running FreeBSD 13.1 and have used XFCE for a decade or more. So not my first rodeo smile

I have a panel configuration that works for me that I have been using during almost all my XFCE time. I tried a graph but could not make one better than the text description that follows:

start|icon1 icon2 icon3|workspace-list|<---- active tasks ---->|sys tray|date-time

So the area  between 'start' and 'workspace' is a fixed length and the stuff at the far right is also with my active tasks in the center (more or less). Normally I just install XFCE and login using .config, .cache et all from the previous version. Since XFCE was going from 14-->18 and FreeBSD 13 is very different from 12. I thought I would just configure from scratch. I could never put anything in the area between 'start' and 'workspace' and the far right sections expanding filling the panel.

After man attempts I thought I would copy over the minimum amount of old settings. So I replace the new  .cache/xfce4/ and .config/xfce4/ with one from an older system (XFCE 16). That all worked fine.

A lot of words to get to my question. Are there legacy setting in the panel definitions that are recognized by the code but are not accessible in XFCE-18?

#2 2023-03-22 16:10:23

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Configuring Panel on 4.18

dtd wrote:

I could never put anything in the area between 'start' and 'workspace' and the far right sections expanding filling the panel.

Can you explain this some more? Why couldn't you put anything between start and workspace? Was something preventing you? Did you use the Panel Properties Items tab to re-order the plugin positions? Or right-click > move?

start|icon1 icon2 icon3|workspace-list|<---- active tasks ---->|sys tray|date-time

Whats missing here are the separator elements/plugins (which can be set to expanding or not). They might explain what you are experiencing.

What might helpful, if possible, is the output of:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv

...from both the non-working and working setups to compare.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-03-23 04:32:06

dtd

Thank you. I will try that. Will be a day or two

#4 2023-04-09 18:19:18

Truth3045

That was helpful in terms of unrelated panel issues too. There doesn't seem to be anything doing garbage collection on the mpris-players line in my output. My output went on for many screens. My line had grown to 34097 chars which I suspect things did not like.
I purged many long gone instances of web browsers with:
xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p  /plugins/plugin-9/mpris-players -s "chromium.instance94327;firefox.instance99701;parole;rhythmbox;spotify;vlc"

Board footer