Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-01 18:06:33

bggf1

[SOLVED] Shorten the filenames in thunar

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a way to shorten the filenames displayed by thunar.

Use case:
When I download stuff from the internet some files have a very long names.
Then I look at them in my download folder in thunar some file-rows have huge "gaps" between them as the longest filename or that row will be written under the icon in it's entire lengh.

Is there a way to shorten the length of the displayed filenames in Thunar to, say, the first 16 characters or to fit the icon size?

The desktop has such a behaviour:
When I have set my desktop icons to a small size the text underneath of (say home) is Ho... and when I hover my mouse over it the full filename is shown.
If I increase the icon size more text will be shown to fit the icon size, but never multiple lines.

Copying the long named files from Downloads to the Desktop show the same behaviour. A blabl... will show beneath the icons.

Thanks

Last edited by bggf1 (2023-04-03 22:39:40)

#2 2023-04-01 19:29:17

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Shorten the filenames in thunar

Only in compact mode (see: misc-compact-view-max-chars). List view also does based on sizing of the column. If you want it for compact view, you may wish to create an enhancement request.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-04-03 22:41:01

bggf1

Re: [SOLVED] Shorten the filenames in thunar

Hi Toz,

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but a good answer and good documentation smile

Thanks

Board footer