Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-02 10:20:51

Euporos

Notifications occupy entire tile in notion WM

Hi everyone,

I'm using XFCE with the notion tiling window manager under NixOS. The recent switch from the stable 22.11 to the 23.05 channel also bumped XFCE from Version 4.16 to 4.18. Apparently the way notifications are displayed has changed between these versions. They used to be displayed over any other screen content in the corner specified. Now, they pop up as regular X windows occupying whatever tile is active, i.e. they completely hide the window I'm working on which is highly disruptive.

I might add, that I do not see analogous behavior with vanilla XFCE the Desktop and Xfwm enabled. I was was expecting to see a window, maybe even a decorative frame, but everything seems as intended.

Do you have any clues as to what's going on here?

Appearance in 4.16, nice:
Appearance in 4.16

Appearance in 4.18, ugly, note the window title:
Appearance in 4.18

XFCE info 4.16
XFCE info 4.18

Last edited by Euporos (2023-06-02 10:21:39)

#2 2023-06-02 19:14:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Notifications occupy entire tile in notion WM

Hello and welcome.

xfce4-notifyd version 0.8.1 made some changes to the notification window fullscreen/screensaver windows and displaying over fullscreen windows. This may have had an impact on other WMs - and it looks like this might be the case with notion. Try enabling the hidden setting to restore the old behaviour:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-notifyd -p /compat/use-override-redirect-windows -t bool -s true --create

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-06-02 20:35:49

Euporos

That did the trick, awesome. Thanks a lot!

Should I relay this finding somewhere? Maybe even open an issue? AFAIK, XFCE values compatibility with various WMs.

#4 2023-06-02 20:55:22

ToZ
Administrator

It should probably be documented somewhere in the wiki. You could create a bug report and request that it be added there. I'm not sure exactly how to word it, so maybe the developer should consider the actual phrasing and content and post it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer