Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-23 13:24:50

abraham

[SOLVED] Has location of `terminalrc` changed?

I have been using my little script to switch between dark/light "modes" in my work environment. It does it by writing directly to config files of few utilities. One of which is xfc4-terminal, where I simply overwrite the color palette setting.

Since last system update (arch, EOS) the script no longer works on the xfc4-terminal. It appears as if the config file located in `~/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc` file is completely ignored by xfc4-terminal. I could delete the entire `~/config/xfce4/terminal` dir, and somehow xfc4-terminal still remembers the configuration. It must be stored somewhere...

Q: What is the "new" location of the config file?

I've never touched any XDG. environment variables. Current values:
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg

XDG_DATA_HOME= (not set). I suppose it defaults to `~/.config/xfce4`.

Last edited by abraham (2023-08-24 10:00:16)

#2 2023-08-23 13:35:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Has location of `terminalrc` changed?

Hello and welcome.

As if version 1.1.0, xfce4-terminal has migrated to using xfconf for its settings. You can now find the settings in the xfce4-terminal xfconf channel:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-terminal -lv

...or via the xfce4-settings-editor app:

se.jpg

Edit: Info on how to use xfconf-query to adjust settings outside the app can be found at https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/xfconf-query.

Edit2: I've added a note to the xfce4-terminal Advanced Topic page in the wiki, but the info there needs to be expanded with respect to the hidden variables (they should now, I believe, all be lowercase word-separated by dashes). We will confirm and update.

Last edited by ToZ (2023-08-23 13:53:52)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-08-23 14:45:59

abraham

Hello, and thanks for the info.

I've started to experiment with `xfconf-query`.

Changing the following properties worked as expected - resulted in immediate change in open terminals:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-terminal -p /font-name -s <VALUE>
xfconf-query -c xfce4-terminal -p /misc-always-show-tabs -s <VALUE>

However, changing those properties didn't:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-terminal -p /color-palette -s <VALUE>
xfconf-query -c xfce4-terminal -p /color-foreground -s <VALUE>
xfconf-query -c xfce4-terminal -p /color-background -s <VALUE>

I noticed the relevant xml file gets updated with new values. But the actual change in terminal doesn't happen. If I open preferences GUI afterwards, it shows the changes weren't applied.

--

Edit: My bad, color-foreground and color-background actually works. Just can't get color-palette to work.

Last edited by abraham (2023-08-23 15:00:07)

#4 2023-08-23 15:01:13

Tamaranch

Yes, some properties may not be synchronized in both directions at runtime. This is not part of the migration to Xfconf per se, as it wasn't the case before either (since there was no file monitoring on terminalrc).

So it remains to be done. For example, for /misc-always-show-tabs, I added it after the migration: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-term … 9fb93e9755

Feel free to open an issue to report the properties you've noted, I'll probably fix it for the next version.

#5 2023-08-24 09:59:51

abraham

Actually, I got it all working now with `xfconf-query`, so NVM.

Board footer