Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-26 08:54:52

bitrat

'xfce4-screenshooter' is no use to me. Alternative?

Hi,

who ever contemplated a screenshot app that forces the user to interact with a dialog before taking the shot? 

Great idea for a camera.  Sports photographers would love it.

Anyhoo, no sign of a switch to force xfce4-screenshooter to just shut up and take the shot, name it with the date and time and save it in ~/Pictures.  So what else is there?  Or am I missing something?

The default screenshot app in Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver was perfect but, apparently, it too has been 'improved'.  Maybe I can find it...  Another one to try, although it may be no better, is 'gnome-screenshot', which is in the debian apt repo.  However I'm wondering if installing it will drag a caravan load of gnome dependencies into my system and screw with my desktop..

So, two questions:

- can anyone suggest an screenshot app that takes instant shots, and preferably comes without a built in editor, options to upload to cloud storage or a horse eating a banana mounted on the bonnet?

- what are the potential problems with installing gnome apps in XFCE?

Cheers,
bitrat

Last edited by bitrat (2023-08-26 09:14:19)

#2 2023-08-26 10:31:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: 'xfce4-screenshooter' is no use to me. Alternative?

bitrat wrote:

Anyhoo, no sign of a switch to force xfce4-screenshooter to just shut up and take the shot, name it with the date and time and save it in ~/Pictures.  So what else is there?  Or am I missing something?

What version of xfce4-screenshooter are you running? In 1.10, this works for me:

xfce4-screenshooter -f -s ~/Pictures/$(date +%F_%R).png

...and auto-creates the file ~/Pictures/2023-08-26_06:25.png. No user interaction required. Other switches supported as well.

- what are the potential problems with installing gnome apps in XFCE?

None really, other than gnome apps force headerbar/CSD - if that's not your bag.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-10-19 20:39:18

undercover_agent

I use a similar command (bash script though) with xfce4-screenshoter for the prtsrc key.
This is all I need 90% of the time. Works great!

However, the other 10% I need a sceenshot of the main monitor. As in, the one the mouse pointer or active window  is on.
I do use more than one monitory (2 currently, sometimes 3) Not the full "virtual desktop" with all the screens in one big image.
I thought I could use the "display" parameter with harvested data from xdotool to pick the screen, but no luck there.

If anyone can confirm then: xfce4-screenshooter does not support specifying a certain screen (out of X nr of screens) in a multi-monitor setup?

^ - ^

#4 2023-10-19 22:54:10

eriefisher

It doesn't get any simpler than scrot. Create a scrot script and assign a key stroke for it.

See "man scrot"

Myself, I have no issue with xfce4-screenshooter.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#5 2023-10-21 06:18:38

undercover_agent

I decided to try flameshot. Probably has any feature you could ever want, including CLI options. Maybe a little bloaty, but hey, it can take a screenshot of a particular screen wink

^ - ^

Board footer