Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-18 20:35:35

davecs

Orage and new Google OAuth requirements

It used to be possible using vdirsyncer to sync ics files with Google Calendar and Google contacts, to show contact birthdays, and entries from your google calendar, in Orage. After the changes made by Google to OAuth over the last year or so, does anyone know how to do it now? The most recent thing I can find on the internet is an old Wordpress document which I wrote myself, but no longer works!

Last edited by davecs (2023-10-18 20:36:23)

#2 2023-10-18 21:53:45

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Orage and new Google OAuth requirements

I think you need to enable and use an app password for applications that are not coded to make use of OAuth.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-10-18 22:57:58

Temetka

davecs wrote:

It used to be possible using vdirsyncer to sync ics files with Google Calendar and Google contacts, to show contact birthdays, and entries from your google calendar, in Orage. After the changes made by Google to OAuth over the last year or so, does anyone know how to do it now? The most recent thing I can find on the internet is an old Wordpress document which I wrote myself, but no longer works!

How did you get orage?

I just did a fresh install of LinuxMint 21
XFCE version 4.18

I can't find orage anywhere?

#4 2023-10-18 23:28:45

ToZ
Administrator

Temetka wrote:
davecs wrote:

How did you get orage?

I just did a fresh install of LinuxMint 21
XFCE version 4.18

I can't find orage anywhere?

Have a read through this thread for some background. I'm guessing it was removed from the mint repositories for being deprecated and not yet added back.

You can build it manually if you are interested. These commands worked for me on linuxmint 21:

# enable the source (src) repositories via "software-properties-gtk"

sudo apt install build-essential git libical-dev libnotify-dev
sudo apt build-dep xfce4-panel

git clone https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/orage.git
cd orage
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --libdir=/lib/$(uname -m)-linux-gnu
make
sudo make install

You can then add orage to the startup applications and its icon will appear on the panel when it starts. Alternatively if you are using the clock plugin, you can set the "Calendar command" to:

orage -t

...to toggle its visibility (and hide the orage tray icon) for a more seamless integration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer