Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-04 22:24:45

advice1010

Whisker menu removed the ability to resize in realtime with edge grabs

I recently updated my Whisker menu to version 2.8.0 and have discovered that one of the features that I am fond of and very used to using has now been decided to be removed?
Turns out you can no longer adjust the size of the Whisker menu in realtime by using the edge grabs.  You can now only change the size by using the settings which is not as convenient for numerous reasons, one of them being that you cannot see the size as you are changing the parameters, you have to guess.
I have seen someone mention this and apparently it is not a bug, but a decision to remove it.
On a different site, I also saw someone mention that it might be because Xfce has changed something about "widgets"?
I was wondering if anyone knew if the decision to remove this feature in the Whisker menu was because of something that changed in Xfce that forced this to occur or if this was just a random decision?
I plan on requesting that this be added back, but just wanted to understand a little more about it before I did so.
Just seems strange to remove this feature for no reason?

Thank you for any info shared.

#2 2023-12-04 22:41:13

Tamaranch

Re: Whisker menu removed the ability to resize in realtime with edge grabs

This is because it's not supported on Wayland and the developer doesn't want to maintain two different code paths for Wayland and X11, see https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … issues/112

#3 2023-12-04 23:44:14

Crippled2013

Tamaranch wrote:

This is because it's not supported on Wayland and the developer doesn't want to maintain two different code paths for Wayland and X11, see https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … issues/112

I feel for the Xfce developers. Wayland should be fixed and not for everything else needs to be changed because of lazy selfish Wayland developers refuse to fix Wayland. Wayland should be changed, not Xfce.
As for the Whisker menu this change is not an issue for me but I can see it being an issue for others like advice1010. What really concerns me is what else is going needed to be changed in Xfce that takes away from the greatness of Xfce all because of lazy inconsiderate Wayland developers?

I am horrible at using the terminal as I could never learn the command line.

#4 2023-12-05 18:55:30

Bamber

What a shame. This is one of the best features about Xfce.
In fact, it's one of the reasons I started using Xubuntu.

#5 2023-12-06 06:10:25

JmaCWQ

So this is going to eventually affect all Thunar window resizing, app resizing as well as Whisker resizing that's done by dragging?
That ability is going to be removed across the entire Xfce?

Last edited by JmaCWQ (2023-12-06 06:11:02)

#6 2023-12-06 10:58:32

Tamaranch

No, it only concerns whisker-menu because it uses a layer-shell window (some kind of wayland window that can't be resized by hand).

#7 2023-12-06 21:58:06

JmaCWQ

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
One of the first things I do when I install an OS running Xfce for someone is resize the Whisker menu.
Hopefully a workaround will evolve so it can still be resized somehow.

#8 2023-12-07 01:50:45

Crippled2013

JmaCWQ wrote:

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
One of the first things I do when I install an OS running Xfce for someone is resize the Whisker menu.
Hopefully a workaround will evolve so it can still be resized somehow.

You can't resize by dragging but you can resize through a settings menu.

I am horrible at using the terminal as I could never learn the command line.

#9 2023-12-07 07:11:35

JmaCWQ

Crippled2013 wrote:

You can't resize by dragging but you can resize through a settings menu.

Thanks, good to know it's still doable, I haven't seen or used version 2.8.0 yet.

#10 2023-12-26 23:48:54

advice1010

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.
Yeah this is really a shame to hear.
I knew there was an alternative method of adjusting this in settings, good that it is there, but no where near as effecient as it was before.
Have to adjust the setting without being able to see what is happpening.
Also, finally got the ability to try out new feature of being able to have the Whisker menu loading in the center of screen and now the ability to adjust the size with grips like a window are removed in the same release.
Yeah kind of scary to think that items are going to change to adhere to Wayland.
Developer said there is no way to achieve this that he knows of, and that he is open to suggestions.
Hopefully as Wayland develops this will somehow makes it way back into the menu.
Thanks again for all the responses, good to know I am not the only one missing this feature.

Last edited by advice1010 (2023-12-26 23:53:20)

Board footer