Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-02 12:37:28

zub

Thunar custom action to swap vertical/horizontal splits

Now that thunar has a split view, I wanted to enable switching between vertical/horizontal splits. I found the hidden setting for it. Then learned that rather than using

--set true

or

--set false

you can just use

-T

to toggle. Perfect.

In the file

~/.config/Thunar/uca.xml

I create a custom action like this:

<action>
		<icon>rotation-allowed</icon>
		<name>⮔ toggle split orientation</name>
		<submenu/>
		<command>xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-vertical-split-pane --create --type bool -T</command>
		<description>switch between horizontal/vertical split</description>
		<range>*</range>
		<patterns>*</patterns>
		<directories/>
		<audio-files/>
		<image-files/>
		<other-files/>
		<text-files/>
		<video-files/>
</action>

It can be activated successfully via the context menu or an assigned keyboard shortcut. Yay! Mission basically accomplished.

Problems:

1. Cannot be activated from the toolbar. It can be added to the toolbar and shows up as expected. Clicking has no discernible effect. If I launch thunar from the command line there is no output. Using the monitor option:

xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-vertical-split-pane --create --type bool --monitor

shows no effect when  my button is pressed. Is the toolbar limited in what it can do?

2. The change takes effect  in all thunar windows. Is there a way to limit to only a specific window? I don't find a way to create separate Thunar sessions.

I can live with both of these as they are easily  worked around so not looking for anything elaborate. Just wondering if either of these can be accomplished in a simple way.

#2 2024-02-03 00:45:45

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar custom action to swap vertical/horizontal splits

What version of thunar?

For me, it doesn't work on 4.18.10 either, but it does on the 4.19 branch. Maybe a bug report to get it fixed in the 4.18 branch?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-02-09 21:41:43

zub

I have thunar 4.18.10 (Xfce 4.18)

I will admit I don't understand the versioning system. If you are saying it is fixed in 4.19, then doesn't that mean it's fixed? Will just wait for the next upgrade or see about installing a different version? If there is a 4.19 then why would they update 4.18?

#4 2024-02-09 22:51:32

eight.bit.al

Create a right-click custom action.

toggle.jpg

2³bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2024-02-09 22:53:42)

Fight against surveillance capitalism.

#5 2024-02-10 00:32:42

ToZ
Administrator

zub wrote:

I have thunar 4.18.10 (Xfce 4.18)

I will admit I don't understand the versioning system. If you are saying it is fixed in 4.19, then doesn't that mean it's fixed? Will just wait for the next upgrade or see about installing a different version? If there is a 4.19 then why would they update 4.18?

4.19 comes after 4.18. Even numbered versions are considered "production" and odd numbered versions are considered "development" - but development Xfce versions are for the most part production-ready. Depending on the distro you are using, it may provide a 4.19 package you could try. Alternatively, please create bug report here asking for it to be fixed in the 4.18 branch.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2024-02-11 09:32:40

zub

ok it is done!

Board footer