Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-10 10:08:32

Peropo

Thunar's pathbar display' of a folder-link/shortcut

I use Manjaro and create Xfce Desktop links to folders using Thunar (viz.right-click on selected folder and execute option Send to -> Desktop (create Link))

When Thunar opens these links, its path-bar displays the full path, but via the folder-link used to open it. This is not the real path of the destination folder, which I would prefer to see.

Is this by design, or is perhaps Thunar's path-bar configurable in what it displays?

This is my first post on Xfce's forum, and thank you in advance for reading and if possible helping in the above.

Manjaro (from lsb-release and xfce4-about)
DISTRIB_RELEASE="23.1.3"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="Vulcan"
Kernel 6.6.10-1-MANJARO
Xfce version 4.18
GTK 3.24.39
Thunar (from about) 4.18.10

It is never too late to know that it was.

#2 2024-02-10 11:49:48

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar's pathbar display' of a folder-link/shortcut

Hello and welcome.

Currently by design. There are existing bug/enhancement reports about this:

Edit: You can use a custom action to open a thunar window on the realpath of the link though. See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=73061#p73061.

Last edited by ToZ (2024-02-10 12:11:25)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-02-10 16:43:55

Peropo

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The referenced custom action was tried. It didn't work on the desktop shortcuts. The new "Move into" action opened a new window showing the same path (as if the link had been simply double-clicked on) but having greyed-out the back-arrow. The up-arrow (parent-folder) was still available.

As an experiment, a fresh folder-link was created (using Thunar) which was successfully opened by the custom action displaying. The real path. The decision was made to re-create the existing links.

Recreating and overwriting an existing folder-link using Thunar, did not result in the "Move into.."  action to work as wished.

Directly deleting the link on the Desktop itself (right-click, then delete) was then tried, but was catastrophic in having deleted the entire "real" target directory. This was neither wanted nor expected.

The custom action works well and acceptable. It is not understood why it does not work on existing folder-links but making fresh replacement links seem to be the answer in this user's case.

Many thanks.

Please regard as [SOLVED]

#4 2024-02-11 12:48:11

Peropo

My apologies, I correct my previous post [#3] as follows…

"Recreating and overwriting an existing folder-link using Thunar, did not result in the "Move into.."  action to work as wished."

This was happening because I was opening existing links by double-clicking on them to further reach specific sub-folders. I am guessing this only embedded/repeated the existing (old) link's path into the newly created sub-folder's link which the custom action is forced to repeat. I am confused by all this and hope some sense can be made from it.

"Directly deleting the link on the Desktop itself (right-click, then delete) was then tried, but was catastrophic in having deleted the entire "real" target directory. This was neither wanted nor expected."

The destination directory was still. Probably blinded by my own confusion. Since then, I have learned about the possible danger in using the rm command to delete sym-links and subsequently created a custom action using "unlink" in Thunar for deleting folder-links.

Board footer