Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-10 19:27:20

harrykar

How can see application's icon instead of a gear in panel?

First all first I'm new here hi all you
As in subject (look at pic: gear instead qbittorent's icon ). How can I do to obtain it?
TIA

I'm on a
Desktop: Xfce v: 4.18.1 tk: Gtk v: 3.24.36 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm v: 4.18.0 vt: 7
    dm: LightDM v: 1.26.0 Distro: MX-23.2_ahs_x64 Libretto October 15  2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux
    12 (bookworm)

Edit in #6:

Last edited by harrykar (2024-02-11 00:45:36)

*Hardware and software are logically equivalent:K.Panetta's dicit: ‘‘Hardware is just petrified software’’
*Remember: the beauty of CS lies not in the diversity of its details but in the unity of its concepts

#2 2024-02-10 21:12:46

herbie643

Re: How can see application's icon instead of a gear in panel?

I  just install qbitorrent and the icon shows great,   I  suspect perhaps your icon set has no icon for it.

#3 2024-02-10 21:19:33

chang-zhao

It seems to be a Launcher in the Panel. When you create/fill the launcher to run an installed program, use "add to launcher" with button "+". Then it should find the program and set the proper icon automatically. Otherwise it sets a gear icon (e.g. if you used a custom command to add to launcher, by clicking button "empty page" and filling the text entries).
In any case, you can edit the launcher:

right-click the Launcher -> Properties -> Edit selected item (wrench-like button, usually) -> Icon.

Then either choose a picture from some folder as the icon, or use a standard icon. qBittorrent probably has its standard icon installed, so search "qb" in "All icons", it should be there.

Otherwise you can download a suitable image to some folder and set it as icon (usually you would do that for some non-standard commands that have not installed their icons).

I hope this answer will help to solve the problem.

#4 2024-02-10 21:39:31

eriefisher

For me it's:
Right click on the launcher and select Properties. You a window popup. Select the Appearance tab. At the bottom you should see Icon. Click the icon and navigate to the one you prefer and click OK.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#5 2024-02-10 23:39:08

herbie643

I think mine worked because I havve the Docklike plugin.

#6 2024-02-11 00:42:05

harrykar

Thank you all for your timely answers, let me explain a bit better:

qbittorrent is not installed from my distro's repo but is an .appimage (downloaded from qbittorent's website) and put it in my home's ~/bin (is in $PATH) and launch it with a click on a softlink(I did of ~/bin/qbittorent.appimage) on desktop. Is visible in pic as the blue gear (near panel) on Desktop --3rd icon from up--

In my opening thread's first post forgot to mention that after qbittorrent's launch  qbittorrent's image is present  in panel's notification area (i.e. panel's bottom side area).
The gear(qbittorent's open app/window) I refer is in  Taskswitcher/Window Buttons: area where open applications are shown(i.e. panel's up side area).
Below thunar file manager, the other  open programs  (i.e. terminal, qpdfview, thunderbird, featherpad, all those are installed normally from distro's repo) all have an icon associated except qbittorent that shows a gear, and moreover if a right-click on qbitorrent's gear icon the only context menu item is 'remove' instead if I right-click in anyone of the other open programs icon I get a much longer list of items(Pin to doc, edit launcher, unminimize, etc)

Apart qbittorent and another one application(ActivityWatch: It's a time tracker I also downloaded from their website. I managed to start AW as daemon after system's boot so not shows a gear in the taskswitcher(panel's upper) area as do qbittorent) that have an icon in notification area(i.e. panel's bottom side area) no other open application(from the MX's repo) has an icon in notification area but instead has an icon in taskswitcher area.
I'm wondering why that?

Per default when I close qbittorent('x' button) the gear in taskswitcher panel's (upper)area disappears but qbittorent is not closed only "hide" in his icon in notification panel's (bottom)area . When instead I push '-' button (i.e. minimize) gear icon remains in taskswitcher area

I found qbittorent images are only in /usr/share/icons/Papirus folder. I found also that gtk-update-icon-cache command creates an icon-theme.cache inside the /usr/share/icons/Papirus directory, but unluckily the gear(now is a bit smaller than before I guess) is always visible in taskswitcher area.

$ sudo gtk-update-icon-cache --force /usr/share/icons/Papirus
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.

I'm new to xfce and for sake of clarity(about terminology) I copy/paste from Mx's user manual MX's  xfce panel explanation(look at  pic):
• Power button, opens to a dialog box for log out, restart, shut down and suspend (Xfce)
• Clock in LCD format–click for a calendar (xfce)
• Taskswitcher/Window Buttons: area where open applications are shown
• Firefox browser (it's a launcer)
• File manager (Thunar, it's a launcer)
• Notification Area ( Other applications may insert icons in the panel or Notification Area when running)
    • Update manager
    • Clipboard manager
    • Network manager
    • Volume manager
    • Power manager (battery indicator)
    • USB ejector
• Pager: displays available workspaces (by default 2, right-click to change)
• Application menu (“Whisker” on Xfce)

Last edited by harrykar (2024-02-11 00:49:17)

*Hardware and software are logically equivalent:K.Panetta's dicit: ‘‘Hardware is just petrified software’’
*Remember: the beauty of CS lies not in the diversity of its details but in the unity of its concepts

#7 2024-02-11 19:43:59

chang-zhao

harrykar wrote:

qbittorrent is not installed from my distro's repo but is an .appimage (downloaded from qbittorent's website)

It's better to install it from the repo, then there's no need for all the appimage clutter.

harrykar wrote:

The gear(qbittorent's open app/window) I refer is in  Taskswitcher/Window Buttons: area where open applications are shown(i.e. panel's up side area).
qbittorent that shows a gear, and moreover if a right-click on qbitorrent's gear icon the only context menu item is 'remove'

Maybe because it's "appimage" rather than "qbittorent"?

harrykar wrote:

Apart qbittorent and another one application(ActivityWatch: It's a time tracker I also downloaded from their website. I managed to start AW as daemon after system's boot so not shows a gear in the taskswitcher(panel's upper) area as do qbittorent) that have an icon in notification area(i.e. panel's bottom side area) no other open application(from the MX's repo) has an icon in notification area but instead has an icon in taskswitcher area.
I'm wondering why that?

I don't understand the question. Most programs are in TaskSwitcher. Some programs show their icon in Notification area, as they are like "in the background" and can be "hidden" from the list of TaskSwitcher items, to not distract users and not take space there.

harrykar wrote:

Per default when I close qbittorent('x' button) the gear in taskswitcher panel's (upper)area disappears but qbittorent is not closed only "hide" in his icon in notification panel's (bottom)area . When instead I push '-' button (i.e. minimize) gear icon remains in taskswitcher area

That depends on the qbittorent settings and you can change it.

harrykar wrote:

I found qbittorent images are only in /usr/share/icons/Papirus folder. I found also that gtk-update-icon-cache command creates an icon-theme.cache inside the /usr/share/icons/Papirus directory, but unluckily the gear(now is a bit smaller than before I guess) is always visible in taskswitcher area.

You probably can change TaskSwitcher's icon for a program by creating .desktop file for that program and setting icon there. Then start that program via its .desktop file.

To create a .desktop file you can use right-click menu on the desktop (where you see the wallpaper). Or edit manually, or use Thunar context menu if there are .desktop templates in ~/Templates/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Desktop_entries

Board footer