Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-07 06:27:04

ghostnote

Select random colorscheme for new xfce-terminal instance

Hi.
I've a couple colorschemes saved in .config/xfce/terminal/colorschemes, and I would like to whenever I open a new terminal, a random colorscheme would be selected for that terminal.
I was thinking to do a python script for the job, but I realized that editing manually ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-terminal.xml only works after system's reboot.
Not sure if there's other place where data is saved, because whenever I change anything in Terminal Preferences, I see .xml being updated.

Sorry for my bad english.
I like XFCE btw... big_smile

#2 2024-04-07 09:46:07

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Select random colorscheme for new xfce-terminal instance

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this. If you are using a newer version of xfce4-terminal, the settings are saved to the xfconf database and you can use xfconf-query to change those settings on the fly. However, xfce4-terminal doesn't currently allow for multiple simultaneous colour schemes. The best that you can get is using the "--color-bg" and "--colot-text" parameters when startign xfce4-terminal - perhaps this will be sufficient.

Edit: An enhancement request already exists.

Last edited by ToZ (2024-04-07 09:47:37)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-04-07 19:13:59

ghostnote

Re: Select random colorscheme for new xfce-terminal instance

Thanks for sharing the xfconf-query.
All I wanted is to be able to update automatically the preset, since I enjoy all presets.
I did a script that changes my terminal preset every hour with cron job by using xfconf-query command.

Cheers!

Board footer