Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-12 01:35:58

albert15347

rotation of Default (and only) display.

I have just one monitor plugged into my box which runs XFCE 4.18 on Debian 12.

I want to rotate the monitor by 90 degrees so that it's in portrait orientation. So...

Applications > Settings > Settings Editor > displays > "Default" (ie., not "Fallback") > Rotation > Click the "Edit" button, and enter "90" in the "Value" field, then click, "Save". I now see the "Rotation" line which formerly read 0 now reads 90 so that edit seems to have been registered okay. So I hit "Close" in the Settings Editor.

Then I check the file at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml and I see rotation value="90" so that seems to have worked out okay.

And in bash, "$ xfconf-query -c displays -l -v" outputs "/Default/default/Rotation 90"

But then if I log out and log back in again, no rotation has happened. The file referenced above, and the query in bash still show the "90", but the rotation hasn't happened. What am I doing wrong?

A curious post-script might help throw some light on this: I just clicked "Applications" > "Settings" > "Display", and within a few seconds, I saw out of the corner of my eye, a reload request in the Mousepad window showing the 'displays.xml' file -- it appears that waking up 'Settings > Display' has automatically reset the 90 value back to 0 in that file without any prompting from me! Needless to say, the xfconf-query in bash is now also showing '0', and so is the Settings Editor, whereas but a minute ago, they said '90'.

I can't work this out!

Last edited by albert15347 (2024-04-12 01:37:14)

Board footer