Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-05 20:22:49

advice1010

Thunar - Way to stop search

When I use Ctrl+F to perform a search in Thunar I often end up getting the search result that I want which shows up on screen, but I notice that I do not have full access to this item because the search is still continuing.  I have to wait for the search to finish in order to have access to this item.  For example accessing a file/folders context menu, actions are grayed out until search is complete.
Does anyone know if there is a way to stop the search but still keep the search results found before the search was stopped.

Thank You

#2 2024-05-09 22:17:15

advice1010

Re: Thunar - Way to stop search

Oh so this might not actually be possible, I thought I might have just been overlooking something.

#3 2024-05-09 23:42:26

ToZ
Administrator

Might be worth creating an enhancement request in thunar.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2024-05-21 20:11:04

tb0ne24

Hello Everyone! o)

I'm new, I've been reading for some time here already.. o)

@TOZ
How likely is it, that the Thunar devs are working on enhancement requests? Do you have a feeling / experience about that?
I ask, because I have a loooot of things, which need to be addressed in Thunar.. o))

@advice1010
I use "fsearch" to get a nice GUI based search functionality on XFCE / Linux, it's a "void Everything Search" clone, which is popular on Windows, it's not on the "Everything" level yet, but quite useful already.

How can the Thunar search run so long for you? I just realized, it only "searches" in the current folder, or am I wrong? It is basically just a filter for the files and folder currently displayed? I also wondered how and when the search will stop, since there is no progress or stop button, but if it's just a filter for the current item list, there probably is no "stop", since the result should be rather instant, am I correct?!

Confusing! o)

#5 2024-05-21 22:35:50

ToZ
Administrator

tb0ne24 wrote:

Hello Everyone! o)

Hello and welcome!

@TOZ
How likely is it, that the Thunar devs are working on enhancement requests? Do you have a feeling / experience about that?
I ask, because I have a loooot of things, which need to be addressed in Thunar.. o))

They are very active. Alot of thunar development and bug fixes are happening right now.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2024-06-12 19:52:50

advice1010

@ToZ
Thank you for your response.
I probably will mention this like you said.
Unfortunately my bug reports / feature requests have not typically gone well, so not sure if worth it.

@tb0ne24
Thank you for your response, although not sure why all the shouting! smile
The search tool built into Thunar is not just for filtering the files in the current folder that are visible, it also searches in all the subfolders within that current location.  So the speed of the search results are based on how many folders/files are included in the search.  Speed is also based other factors as well such as type of drive / drive speed.

If interested, give this search tool a try in your "File System" path to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

Thanks again guys

Board footer