You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-16 15:51:21

Tabespe

Docklike: It shows me the wrong Icon and text

Hello

Xfce 4.18
Docklike 0.4.1

I run this command in the terminal:
$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/user1/.local/share/wineprefixes/Microsoft_2010_Office_Visio" "/home/user1/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-5.2-x86_64/bin/wine" start /unix "/home/user1/.local/share/wineprefixes/Microsoft_2010_Office_Visio/drive_c/users/user1/Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft Office/Microsoft Word 2010.lnk"

Word opens and it shows me an new Icon in docklike.

But I have not the Icon in docklike that I would expect.
I would expect a "word" Icon, but I get an Icon from a programme that is in another prefix that I use with Lutris.

Also if I hover with the mouse over the Icon, it does not show me the text "Miscrosoft Word" it shows me the text of this Lutris programme, that is in another prefix.

Very strange. What can I do?

Would appreciate some answer. Thank you.

#2 2024-05-16 16:04:50

Tamaranch

Re: Docklike: It shows me the wrong Icon and text

First of all, you really should update docklike to 0.4.2, there were plenty of fixes between 0.4.1 and 0.4.2, especially in this area.

That said, it's possible that 0.4.2 won't recognize certain apps correctly either. In that case, you can help it by adding or modifying the launcher's StartupWMClass key, as indicated in https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … note_78988.

#3 2024-05-16 17:07:34

Tabespe

Thank you.

I have updated to Docklike 0.4.2: It's the same.

I have now realized, that the icon and text, that appears (post #1) is from a *.desktop fiel that contains the line ...
StartupWMClass=Wine

I have now changed this line into ...
StartupWMClass=kkk
... so that this Icon will no longer appear.

But what happens now?
An Icon appears with the text "Wine Internet Explorer", when I open "word" as written in post #1.

What did I do further?
I have tested all my *.desktop files, to see, if there is another *.desktop file that contains the line "StartupWMClass=Wine" with the command:
$ grep -irl 'StartupWMClass=wine' /usr/share/applications ~/.local/share/applications ~/.gnome/apps ~/.local/share/dockbarx/

Result: I have now no Icon with the line ...
StartupWMClass=Wine

So why nevertheless do I get a "world"-Icon with the hover text "Wine Interent Explorer"?

The only way I can solve this is to change into my "Microsoft Word.desktop" starter the line from ...
StartupWMClass=winword.exe
... into ...
StartupWMClass=wine

But now each wine programme I start shows me the Icon from "Microsoft Word.desktop".
Also when I open Excel or any other wine programme.
That's not better. The problem has only shifted to other applications.

WM_CLASS from MS word:
Terminal:
$ xprop WM_CLASS
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "winword.exe", "Wine"

Conclusion: "StartupWMClass=winword.exe" does simply not work. Only "StartupWMClass=wine"

Any ides why?

Last edited by Tabespe (2024-05-16 17:15:11)

#4 2024-05-16 17:24:43

Tamaranch

Tabespe wrote:

I have updated to Docklike 0.4.2: It's the same.

Just to be sure, could you check in the plugin about dialog if its version is 0.4.2 (Ctrl-click on the plugin to access its context menu).
If it's still 0.4.1, you should reinstall the plugin in /usr.

Tabespe wrote:

So why nevertheless do I get a "world"-Icon with the hover text "Wine Interent Explorer"?

Because the plugin doesn't just use StartupWMClass to detect apps, it's a slightly more complex heuristic that can sometimes lead to oddities.

Tabespe wrote:

"winword.exe" does simply not work.

Any ides why?

No, at first glance I think it should work, but I may be missing something.
I don't have time to look at it right now, but if after making sure you're using 0.4.2 you still can't get your way playing with StartupWMClass, you can open a new issue at https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … n/-/issues

#5 2024-05-17 16:05:16

Tabespe

Thank you.

Board footer