Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-18 02:16:32

WaltHaas

XFCE treats my Wacom tablet as an opaque tablet

I have a Wacom Cintiq Pro drawing tablet which I would like to use with my monitor in a side-by-side configuration, so that the graphics application can display on the tablet while I use a browser or whatever on the monitor.  If I configure monitor and tablet as mirrored, the tablet and monitor display the same thing.  I can use the graphics application this way but I need to switch to another workspace to use the browser. When I configure the monitor and tablet side by side, I can display the graphics application on the tablet and the browser on the monitor correctly, but when I use the stylus on the tablet it treats the tablet as twice as wide as it is.  So if I place the stylus on the right edge of the tablet and move it left, the cursor moves twice as fast as the stylus, so that the cursor reaches the left edge of the tablet when the stylus is in the middle.  The cursor then continues left across the monitor until the stylus reaches the left edge of the tablet.

I initially thought this was a problem with the Wacom driver and filed an issue with the Wacom driver team.  They responded:

The root cause is your configuration UI considered your Cintiq Pro as an opaque tablet. So, to the UI, it needs to map the pen/tablet to the whole desktop, which consists of two monitors. The issue is beyond this project's scope, which is for Wacom kernel driver.

and said I should post the issue here. I don't understand the term "opaque tablet" or how to configure something different.  I run XFCE 4.18.1 on Fedora 40. What should I do?

#2 2024-05-18 10:29:18

eriefisher

Re: XFCE treats my Wacom tablet as an opaque tablet

I know nothing about Wacom tablets but I don't think this is an Xfce4 issue. Xfce4 doesn't do anything unusual to configure monitors. The tools are available across environments and distributions. Have you tried the Wacom Community?

https://community.wacom.com/en-us/wacom … for-linux/

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2024-05-18 10:46:38

ToZ
Administrator

Hello and welcome. Xfce doesn't have any direct wacom support, it would be a distro thing.

I don't have any wacom experience, but did find this. Looks like you need to map the device to a display.

It appears that maybe this utility might also help?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2024-05-19 00:53:47

WaltHaas

Thanks for the replies.  I should have been clearer.  The Wacom tablet works perfectly with mirrored monitors, and it works with side-by-side monitors EXCEPT FOR the speed at which the stylus cursor crosses the screen, which is double what it should be.  My first thought was that somehow the driver had concluded that the tablet was the combined width of the tablet plus monitor, which is why I thought the problem was in the driver.  Ping Cheng at Wacom support says the problem is actually in the way XFCE maps the tablet.  It seems that I need to dig into how the code actually works to figure this out, or continue to use mirrored monitor and tablet, which is a bit inconvenient.

Board footer