Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-25 06:12:18

antipodean

Keys suddenly changed function

Running Asmi Linux 24.04 for the last few weeks. Enjoying the snappy common sense of XFCE. I installed with a basic "US" keyboard setting. That was fine, all keys doing what they should.

However, two days ago for some reason my Delete key stopped working as a delete key. Instead, it works as "PgUp".

"PgUp" and "PgDn" are suddenly working as "Alt"+"->" and "Alt"+"<-", respectively (at least on webpages). There are other oddities that I can't track, too.

I don't know what I have done because I never went into Keyboard or locale settings. There have been no other keyboards (although its been on and off a dock). I've installed several programs, (e.g. Terminator), but I find it hard to imagine that caused it. So I can't retrace my steps and undo this. But I can't live with this keyboard as it is now.

This is an x230 with an aftermarket keyboard (bought the machine with the board installed). There have been several distros and DEs on this and there has never been a problem until now. The x230s have a reputation for being well-compatible with Linux.

Now I don't know what to do. I have tried different settings in Keyboard, but nothing seems to work. I don't even know what keyboard to try, or what my layout is called (believe me, I have googled).

At the very least, can someone tell me how i can reset the Delete key back to delete function?

#2 2024-05-25 10:51:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Keys suddenly changed function

Hello and welcome.

A good first troubleshooting step would be to create a second test account and see if the problem persists there. If not, then you've narrowed the problem down to your specific user account as opposed to a system or device problem.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-05-25 13:44:55

antipodean

Thanks for your reply, ToZ.

Interesting idea. However, a new account has the same behavior.

I have no idea where to turn next. Suggestions welcome.

#4 2024-05-25 20:22:40

ToZ
Administrator

If the problem exists on both accounts, it must be system wide. Is there some sort of scroll-lock or function-lock enabled on the keyboard?

Since its an after-market keyboard, can you post a picture of it?

Also, what do the following commands return:

setxkbmap -query
xmodmap -pke | grep -i delete

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2024-05-26 03:50:56

antipodean

$ setxkbmap -query
rules:      evdev
model:      pc86
layout:     au
$ xmodmap -pke | grep -i delete
keycode  91 = KP_Delete KP_Decimal KP_Delete KP_Decimal
keycode 119 = Delete NoSymbol Delete

Last edited by antipodean (2024-05-26 03:52:44)

#6 2024-05-26 03:54:44

antipodean

and as requested

aftermarket keyboard, type unknown on x230

EDIT - I am spending an ungodly amount of time trying to get this image to post, and nothing is working.

Please see https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1z9b4qcq … z0tv1&dl=0

Last edited by antipodean (2024-05-26 04:35:18)

#7 2024-05-26 09:54:04

ToZ
Administrator

You seem to have the pc86 keyboard model enabled.

Try running the following command to see if makes a difference:

setxkbmap -model "pc105" -layout "au"

#8 2024-05-26 11:19:36

antipodean

>You seem to have the pc86 keyboard model enabled.

Yes, its just one of the things I've tried. I've also tried 105, 104, 102 and 101 models via the Keyboard > Layout GUI. Also, "use system defaults" on and off.

Interestingly, I've just run your command - no change, btw - and the GUI remains set to a generic 86 layout. "use system defaults" is set to "off".

I've switched the "use system defaults" to "on", and have to re-login.  If there is any change I will post back here. Just re-loggedin -> no change in keyboard function.

Last edited by antipodean (2024-05-26 11:26:22)

#9 2024-05-26 14:20:56

ToZ
Administrator

Ubuntu-based distros have a utility to re-configure the keyboard:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

...I believe it writes its output to /etc/default/keyboard. What is the content of that file before and after you run that command as well as after you reboot?

#10 2024-05-27 06:24:02

antipodean

It seems pretty stubborn. I used the keyboard-configuration command (and ncurses-style menu) to reset to 101-key (based on this), but no change.

So, before command

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
BACKSPACE="guess"

After command

XKBMODEL="pc101"
XKBLAYOUT="au"
XKBVARIANT=""
BACKSPACE="guess"
XKBOPTIONS=""

After reboot

XKBMODEL="pc101"
XKBLAYOUT="au"
XKBVARIANT=""
BACKSPACE="guess"
XKBOPTIONS=""

#11 2024-05-27 10:03:13

ToZ
Administrator

Can you try booting with the iso and seeing if the problem exists there? If not, check the /etc/default/keyboard file to compare.

#12 2024-05-28 13:16:33

antipodean

I know what's happened.

I tried to install an aftermarket battery. Lenovo made some BIOS-level change to balcklist any battery they don't sell. There is a community-based 3rd party patch that has to be applied, and its also meant to alter keyboard function.

There has been so much going on I forgot I ran this on this machine, not my other x230.

So, when I boot from the live usb, the keyboard behavior is the same.

Honestly, I don't know if i'll be able to reverse the changes, and I am not sure i'd get help at the github page.

Can you recommend a way to change the delete key back to 'delete'? Anything else I can live with, but the loss of the delete key is killing me.

#13 2024-05-28 14:35:48

ToZ
Administrator

antipodean wrote:

Can you recommend a way to change the delete key back to 'delete'? Anything else I can live with, but the loss of the delete key is killing me.

Try this (you need to have the xdotool package installed). Go to Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application Shortcuts and add the following shortcut:

xdotool getactivewindow key Delete

...and when prompted for the shortcut, press your Delete key.

See if this works for you.

#14 2024-05-29 15:16:03

mint4all

antipodean wrote:

I know what's happened.
I tried to install an aftermarket battery. Lenovo made some BIOS-level change to balcklist any battery they don't sell. There is a community-based 3rd party patch that has to be applied, and its also meant to alter keyboard function.

There has been so much going on I forgot I ran this on this machine, not my other x230.
So, when I boot from the live usb, the keyboard behavior is the same.
Honestly, I don't know if i'll be able to reverse the changes, and I am not sure i'd get help at the github page.

Sorry for commenting late. Afaicr (long long time ago), Thinkpads used to have a BIOS setting to swap some keys and pre-set layouts. Have you checked this out? Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#15 2024-05-30 05:45:24

antipodean

> Thinkpads used to have a BIOS setting to swap some keys and pre-set layouts.

Just booted in to BIOS. Key options seem to be for Fn and Ctl combinations only.

#16 2024-05-30 05:53:02

antipodean

ToZ wrote:

See if this works for you.

Ah. I have one thing to say to you, sir.

much appreciated!

Board footer